London water - stocking advice (pic attached for help)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Unfortunately I have lost my first fish. :( I will take comfort in knowing it wasn't due to any water or tank issues.

One of the guppies was getting bullied by two other so he decided to jumped out of the tank when nobody was around.

I must say some of these guppies are aggressive to each other which surprised me a little.

Hello All.

I need your expertise again please.

Unfortunately my filter's pump has stopped working. I don't know whether it needs a clean or it's a mechanical fault. I will try and clean it and see if starts working but in any case I am expecting to have to change this filter anyway. To avoid any disasters my research came up with Fluval U2.

Water readings are good for now but I want to avoid any disasters so I will go and pick the filter up today from P@H just in case the filter won't work after cleaning.

Any advice on best way to make the switch from current non-functioning to new filter?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You need to move the media from the old filter to the new one.

Is this the Aqua Nano 40? Doesn't that have a separate compartment for the filter? You would have to put another make if filter in the main compartment with the fish. The ceramic media in the Aqua Nano should go in the box in the middle of the U2, and the sponge cut up to replace the sponges that come with the U2. Don't bother with the carbon cartridge.

Or buy a new pump for the built in filter http://aqua-one-parts.co.uk/aqua-one-maxi-102-powerhead-pump-for-aquanano-40.html

Thanks for the advice.

The Aqua Nano 40 has been rebranded to Aqua Aspire 55 which makes more sense as it holds 55litres. This tank has a normal, attachable there compartment filter (looks a bit like the Fluval U series) with motor at the bottom, middle part with what sounds like skittles inside it and the top with media filters.

It's a very noisy filter by the way so it's another excuse to make the change. I don't think the fish like the loud buzzing sound it makes.

Based on your advice, I will cut up the sponges and replace the ones that come with the U2. I must admit I don't know if this filter has a ceramic media to put in the U2. I won't bother with the carbon cartridge as advised.

Is the ceramic media crucial?

It looks as though that tank is only for sale through Pets@Home so it may be one made specially for them. There is no Aqua Aspire on Aqua One's website. The only reason Aqua One used 40 for the Aqua Nano is because the sides measure 40 cm.

Ceramic media is not essential, sponges do the job of providing a home for bacteria just as well. Use whatever is inside the filter you have and try to make it fit with no gaps for the water to sneak round the media. Sponges can be cut with scissors to make them fit. If there is less media in the old filter than the new one, use new media to fill any spaces. The important thing is to use as much old media, and the bacteria on the media, as possible, whatever it takes to make it fit.

Hello,
I just read thru this post and would love to see a picture of the tank now!
I adore endlers, but sadly my water is too soft to keep them.
They are very active and come in beautiful colors (as do male guppies).
Sorry about the one you lost.
Also wondering if your shrimp is still with you?
That was a fun little bonus! I'd get more if I were you...they are wonderful little cleaners and they're always busy and full of character.
Hopefully you have lots of plants by now and hiding places as your endlers and guppies will most likely hunt them down.
But they could keep a nice little colony in check.
Also hope you got your pump in check :)

Hi.

As I've just changed the filter as instructed using old media, a bit of bacteria built up in the water making it cloudy. As soon as the water clears which it has started to, I will post a couple of pics.

The endless are fun to watch along with the guppies. Very playful. They seem to like the water current from the new filter too and they take turns riding on it. The flow is directed in such a way it has allowed the fish to have a play area and the rest of the tank to be calmer for resting and general mingling.

My red shrimp aka 'Red Rogue' is still around doing its thing. It has set up a home inside the bogwood which must be hollow for it to reside in there. The plants indeed have grown which is nice to see.

I am thinking of buying three Albino Corys as the next batch of fish on Friday as my bottom feeders and another shrimp for Red Rogue to play with. I think there is enough free surface area as well as interesting places for the new batch to explore.

Filter looks like it's doing its job and it's very quiet. Very happy I changed it.

Last edited:
Corydoras should be in groups of no less than five. I realize the tank size here, but if you want the cories to be happy and healthy, five is minimum. You can manage that with regular water changes and not overfeeding.

Hey Byron

Whatever makes the Corys happy I will make sure I do it. Any suggestion on which Corys from your experience? Can I mix them up for example 3 albino + 2 Pygmy?

On the water change, I did a 50% change when I changed the filter but previous to that I've been doing 20-25% per week. All levels reading fine apart from KH which has been difficult to control and been a little bit high. Fish seem happy and active.

Where did the GH finally settle? I see posts mentioning 8 dGH, others 12-14 dGH (220-250 ppm).

Change 50% weekly, at one time.

Cory species depend upon the GH, and tank size. Pygmy cories were mentioned earlier, but if the GH really is over 220 ppm (12 dGH) I wouldn't. The bronze or green cory, Corydoras aeneus, the peppered C. paleatus, and their albino forms, are common. C. sterbai, and C. panda are also frequently available, the panda likes water current much more, and slightly cooler. These species are being commercially raised which means they should settle in with your parameters, if we are close.

Thanks Byron.

On average the GH is 220 (London water at its finest). I'll change 50% per week as suggested.

If Albinos are an option I will get them. I know LFS stock them regularly along with Bronze and Pygmy. I would like some white coloured fish in my tank for variation. Can I mix?

Thanks Byron.

On average the GH is 220 (London water at its finest). I'll change 50% per week as suggested.

If Albinos are an option I will get them. I know LFS stock them regularly along with Bronze and Pygmy. I would like some white coloured fish in my tank for variation. Can I mix?

Yes, cory species can be combined. However, it is best to have several of each species if possible. Pandas do seem much better with all five pandas. I have 7 or 8 (fry of several species keep appearing and I lose count) and they tend to remain together more than any of the other 50 cories I have in that tank. I suppose you could do six, three albino and three of another species.

thanks Byron. Love Corys so this is good news. They are definitely some of the funniest and most character filled fish to follow in the tank in my opinion. (Based on stalking my LFS!)

I'll take a couple of pics after ive added them.

Most reactions

Back