Lighting Options

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mandi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm really confused by aquarium lighting options and the advantages/disadvantages of each -- can someone help me out here?

I have a 20-gallon long tank. So it's 30" long. I have a "Perfecto" brand hood on it (that's what it came with used). The light in the hood is a single bulb. I took a look at it, and it's a Sylvania-brand 20-watt flourescent bulb.

So... that means I have 1 watt per gallon correct? (I leave it on about 12 hours a day)
(This is considdered "low-light" correct?? -- I know it sure looks very dim compared to my Eclipse System 6 tank)

What can I do to improve my lighting so that I can keep plants considdered "high light"?

Are there higher wattage bulbs that will fit in that particular hood? Or will I need to buy a different strip-light for on top of my hood? (Such as this double-bulb one)? Also is the flourescent better to have than an incandescent bulb?

Any advice and specific brands and/or links to specific products would be very helpful!! :)

you might need to get one of those Double bulb strip light.. or you'll need to make your own canopy to fit more lights, or get use to growing low light plant..

Also incandescent light is the worse that you can get.

Low-light plants would be okay I guess. Hmm.

Would something like this bulb or this bulb work? I'm pretty sure the 24" bulb would fit in the fixture -- but this bulb is for salt water tanks in particular, I guess? But its 75 watts -- so would THAT help, or is that the wrong type of light for a freshwater tank??

[edit:] Nevermind -- just read thos VHO bulbs need special ballasts and such so I'd have to build my own canopy anyway. Looks like going for the double-strip light might be best for now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back