Lighting help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Ceri84

Reaction score
hi, I recently had a problem with one of my old tanks and totally had to shut it down...I now have a 110litre tank Iā€™m in the process of setting up... it currently has a fluorescent tube light, however It isnā€™t working properly and keeps flickering on and off, id like to have it as led lighting but donā€™t know how to do this and donā€™t have a big budget at all...a friend said they used waterproof strip lighting on a roll thatā€™s double sided and stuck it to the inside of the hood? Would this be ok? Or anyone have any ideas on what/how I could change to led lights?

when fluorescent lights flicker it's either the globe or the starter that needs replacing. And they should both be replaced together anyway.
eg: you replace the globe because it no longer works, and you replace the starter at the same time.

----------------------
You can go to any hardware store or lighting shop and have a look at LED lights. They have strip lights and led spotlights. The spotlights penetrate deeper water more effectively. If you have a tall tank then spotlights are a better option.

The LED lights come in a range of wattages and kelvin ratings and lumens. Generally higher wattage means more power used but more light is produced at the same time.

More lumens means more intensity/ light.

Kelvin rating is the temperature of the globe. Natural sunlight has a Kelvin rating around 5700K. Try to get a light with a Kelvin rating around 6500K as the main light, and if you want a morning/ evening light get one with a 2500-3000K rating.
The higher rating (6500k) is often referred to as a cool light, whereas the lower rating (2500K) is referred to as a warm light. The cool light has a white glow, the warm light has a yellow/ orange tinge.

------------------------
How tall is the tank and do you have plants in it? If you want live plants then you want higher wattage and more lumens. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back