lighting help on 20 gallon tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jordanmom13

Reaction score
:crazy: have 20 gallon tank bought as complete set up with filter hood heater lamp all together. As Ive been reading, i realized I need flourescent lighting for my plants. Went to lfs today, and the only bulb they had in the size (18") i needed was " Nutri Grow" fresh water plant lamp 15 watt with color enhancing phophors. box also describes *high intesity output *full spectrum light stimulates plant growth * High output of photosynthetically active energy.
I put the bulb in and now the bulb gives off a green cast to the tank. The original bulb, was white light 15watt aquarium lamp (prehaet) ?!?!
I am assuming this is not enough light or the correct lighting for my tank. My plants r listed below in my signature.

any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I look for a new lighting fixture that holds 2 bulbs?

please help

Thanks
Patty

The only non-low light plant I see listed is the Amazon Sword.

The rest should do fine w/ 15W on 20G as that is still in the low light area.

For the amazon you would need to get up to 2WPG+, which would mean a new hood. :(

:grr: returned bulb that I bought and got "spectramax" 15watt 6500k full spectrum super-daylight lamp. Has external refelcter for maximum light intensity.
Looked for new light hood that holds 2 bulbs or one that hold longer bulbs (mine hols 18" and the hood itself measures 23" , but couldnt find any. Will try tommorrow ant specilaty stor call"The hidden reef" Which by the way, has a full supply of products including bautiful plants they grow themselves and ship from orders on-line, their web address is www.thehiddenreef.com . they are located in Philadelphia, PA.

Hope I got a better bulb for my tank, but I know its not enough for my Amazon sword?!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back