Lighting for Planted Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Angry_Platy

Sleepy Chook
Reaction score
Sleeping Somewhere. Or doing water changes. Or run
I am about to purchase some lighting for my 30gal tank so I can make it a planted tank. The lighting I plan on buying comes with dual K bulbs.....basically they are 1/2 10000K and 1/2 6500K. The site I am buying from saysd this is good for a planted tank...are they correct?

Also, I will have 100 watts on my 30gal tank.....so around 3.3wpg. Is this good? Can I grow most plants in this?

Also, should I invest in a carbon dioxide thing straight or away or can this come later?

TIA

The bulbs sound like they're designed for marine use more than freshwater but should be ok. 6500K is better than 10000K but I've heard success stories with the latter.

With 3.3 WPG you will definitely benefit from CO2 addition. Without CO2 the balance will be off and the excess light will definitely promote algae growth. One possible exception to this is if you plants loads (approx 80% coverage) of fast, easy growing plants. I've listed some possibilities for you. Lots of floating plants will really help keep things balanced too as they filter some light, grow fast (more light and co2 available) absorbing nitrates and phosphates readily. The best way to keep algae at bay is to plant heavily with fast-growers as these will out-compete algae for nutrients. Some plants also produce Alleochemicals which stops algae, almost like chemical warfare!!

Some plants -
Ceratophyllum - Tropical Hornwort
Ceratopteris - Indian Fern
Egeria densa - Waterweed
Hydrocotyle leucocephala - Brazilian Water Ivy
Hygrophila polysperma
Ludwigia species
Shinnersia species - Mexican Oak Leaf
Vallisneria species - Vallis
Limnophila sessisflora - Small Ambulia
All floating plants i.e. Duckweed, Water Lettuce

HTH and good luck