schizo_fish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
my tank size is:
100cm(39")long x 40cm(16")wide x 45cm(18")deep

my lighting is:
1 x AQUA-GLO 36" fluorescent tube 30W 18,000K
1 x SUN-GLO 36" fluorescent tube 30W 4,200K

technically my tank is 40 (uk) gallons but probably only contains about 35 (uk) gallons of water which is about 42 (us) gallons, incase anyone needed to know.
also, what does the 18000K and 4200K mean?

The K's is Kelvin temp. The color of the light. Some plants need different color light. And in houseplant type plants the color effects if it grows or blooms. The reason you have a mixed light is so it does both.

The normal for a planted tank is no less than 80 watts in your tank. But with them lights you will be able to grow a few plants. Mostly on the green leaf end. Reds, purples and some yellows need a lot more light.

what lighting would be best? i.e. what product is the best (e.g. 30W AQUA-GLO)
i want a bright aquarium without any discolouration (i know some lights make everything look yellowish)
the light must be good for plants but not to the point where they will grow like fury.
and it must not bother the fish.
any suggestions anybody?????

if you want the best of both worlds I would say get normal fullspectrum lights from the hardware store. it shoulds have a temp of between 5000K - 6700K.
That will display all the fish at there best aswell as growing your plant. 80Watts over a 40 Gallon tank is said to be medium lights and you wouldnt need any extra CO2 in the water aswell, below 2 watts per gallon your looking at getting some Java fern or similar low light plants, other plant might grow aswell but special care might be needed..

IME low light tank is kinda hard to balance as brown algae is a faster growing algae than most green algaes and fav low light tanks.

green waterr is a sign of nutrience rich water ie. to much fertilizer, to few waterchanges, to much nitrates, to much Phosphorus, or all it

I had some luck with UV lights on green water, but removeing the cause of it is much better fix

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back