lighting for 30 gal hex tank?

Apache

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Howdy,
This whole lighting thing has me VERY confused. We have a 30 gal hex tank that is about 24" tall. I've been told that in order for the light to reach the bottom, we need more than 2WPG. So I just purchased online from marinedepot.com an 18in SunPaq Retrofit 1x96 watt Quad SmartPaq (view it at this link http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01615

The description wasn't so clear, so does that mean I have to build a new hood (the current light hood came with the tank, a 16" single strip type). Will the lightbulb it (the new one) come with be OK, or will I have to buy new bulbs? If so, what kind of bulbs? Help! I'm clueless.... :S

Oh, we have 2 amazon swords and a chain sword in the tank right now...

What you got is a retrofit. That means that it is only the bulb reflector and ballast. It is possible that you could remove the light from the other strip light and try to install this one in. Im not sure it it would fit though. Or you could build a little wooden canopy and mount it on the top. Or you could hang it from whatever. Thats kind of a hard tank to deal with as far as lighting goes. All hexs really. You got a good bulb and it will be great once you figure out how to install it. I'll try to help you more if you still need it!

Kevin

Most reactions

Back