Lighting - Electrical/experience Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CrimsonBoli

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a tank with hood lights, which the ballasts are blown. (Reason why I got it cheap)

I want to convert it to a digital/electronic ballast for the two T8 lights in the tank.

Has anyone done this in the aquarium world? I know CFTs can be 10-20% brighter with electronic ballasts and ~5% more efficient (might have my figures the wrong way round)

Thanks in advanced!

Do you mean something driven by DALI/DSI ? these are usually used for there dimming capabilities ?

Im not sure, its just a electronic ballast that uses transistors/capacitors as appose to a starter.Still using the standard T8 fitments

In that case I see no reason why not, the ballasts are easy purchased at any electrical supplier. My only concern would be the footprint and how you waterproof in a hood as by definition you have more component parts to be protected.

Aye, it's doable, sometimes you need to rewire the ends as well but that can be avoided so long as you get the right ballast for the wiring.

As for water proofing, so long as they fit in the cavity that they were in before, and it was sound before, and you don't have to damage it to change them over or wire them, then it should be ok. With rewiring though you can often hide the ballasts in the cabinet and run the wires from there.

Hello,

Easy job to do...

You'll need a ballast that :

Is matched to your tubes (e.g. 2x30W T8).
Fits inside your hood.

See some of the ballast replacement threads in the "DIY projects and hardware" section for some information on ballast replacement.

If you have any questions at all, it might be an idea to post there.

Don't forget to remove any existing starter and wiring as these are not required with an electronic ballast.

Bodge99

Ok nice one thanks guys I do already have one that is the right rating. Its double the length of the old one but there is preinstalled mounting holes in the hood for a longer ballast (Maybe Fluval thought of electronic ballasts as well)

My mate is an electrician and will wire it in for me so I will let you know how it goes! And if its any good.

Most reactions

Back