Lighting And Stocking?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Tank Girl

Reaction score
Helloo wise fish keepers out there, thanks for taking the time to read this (and hopefully help!)
Just come back from a week away and tank is just finishing cycling (after a couple of weeks) i hope (going to get water tested at shop tomorrow). Its a Jewel 60- 54litre (15gal us) fitted heater and filter. Have a black angel fish and a red and black tailled shark in at the moment which we've had for over 6 months but after advise on here am going to see if the shop will take them back to get some smaller (less snappy) fish!
... SO... question 1: Any ideas what will look colourful and interesting? and how many?
question 2: Daft question maybe but should i be switching the light off at any time? Have done both, left on and switched off over night but wondered what was recomended.
Thanks guys!!

:fish: :fish:

Helloo wise fish keepers out there, thanks for taking the time to read this (and hopefully help!)
Just come back from a week away and tank is just finishing cycling (after a couple of weeks) i hope (going to get water tested at shop tomorrow). Its a Jewel 60- 54litre (15gal us) fitted heater and filter. Have a black angel fish and a red and black tailled shark in at the moment which we've had for over 6 months but after advise on here am going to see if the shop will take them back to get some smaller (less snappy) fish!
... SO... question 1: Any ideas what will look colourful and interesting? and how many?
question 2: Daft question maybe but should i be switching the light off at any time? Have done both, left on and switched off over night but wondered what was recomended.
Thanks guys!!

:fish: :fish:

Hey...first, make sure the tank is fully cycled according to the test results when you recieve them....once the tank is fully cycled, then you can consder adding any new inhabitants....for your sized tank, the red-tailed black shark gets far too agressive and large and should be rehomed to another larger suitable tank....The angelfish should also be moved once it gets too large for the tank or else keeping it in there most possibly will get it stunted....a min of 25 gal will suffice so upgradding your tank in the future should be considered....as a tip, get the largest tank your money can afford in buying and maintaing....in this way, you can have more choices in your fish selections....but in the tank you have now, with the angelfish and the RTBS, its pretty overcrowed as it is and you have very few selections....
P.S. how big is you angelfish and RTBS you have in your tank ATM.....just research on the fish you have and you will recieve info on the size, compatibility etc.....Like i said before, angelfish do get pretty large and the tank you have atm sill not be a suitable permanent home for an angelfish and a RTBS as it gets to agressive.... Once you rehouse them, your present tank can be suited to a school of small tetras such as neons etc, and a school of bottom dwellers such as corydoras etc....

In terms of the light...i leave my lights on for 10 hours a day....depending on the wattage, lights could be kept on at 10 hours a day, but should be shortened if algae starts to grow....

Thanks for that! Sound advice! Am going to ring the shop today and see if they'll have them back (fingers crossed) Sounds like they are too big for this tank but unfortunatly havent really got the space for anything bigger. Think those smaller fish sound like theyd be much more entertaining to watch, the rtb shark is really lovely but think its comming into maturity so needs more room. Going to get ammonia and nitrate test kits as well i think.. roll on pay day! lol! Just wish i'd asked for a bit more advice at the shop but when they seem so busy dont want to keep them, will have to in future i think.

Most reactions

Back