Light Has A Red Tint. Help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My friend gave me an old All glass aquarium 24 inch T8 light that uses 18 inch bulbs. He never used it and it was new, but he doesn't know too much about it. 

I tried it out and it had a red tint, so I bought a new floramax T8 18 inch bulb from petsmart and when i put it in, it was still red!! it had a red tint to it. I made sure to get the full plant spectrum. Is it the ballast or is it meant to be a little red? It's not super red but it's a bit noticeable and is kinda darker.

The Floramx bulbs have a higher then normal red output to help stimulate plant growth.  Plants love red light.  The color of the light has notihing to do with the ballast.  You can use any  24 inch T8 bulbs in the fixture.  They don't have to be aqueon floramax bulbs.  You might be happier with full spectrum daylight bulb.  Multiple manufactures make full spectrum bulbs.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/fullspectrum-daylight-t8-fluorescent-lamp.htm

I would agree with Steven, I had a tube with a red tint in my tank and the plants seemed to love it. If you have fittings for two bulbs you could combine the red with a daylight tube it might counteract the red a little if it bothers you

This is a major problem with so-called plant or aquarium tubes.  They are high in the red (and usually blue too) as photosynthesis is driven by red and blue light (the red is slightly more important for this), but reds and blue which are primary colours on many fish are "highlighted."  Some people like this, I personally do not; the purplish, reddish or bluish hue these tubes (depends upon the phosphors/colour wavelengths) give the aquarium does not render colours of fish, plants and decor true.  The other problem with such tubes is they are generally less intense light than the "daylight" tubes that are high in red and blue but also include green in the mix.

I have been trying out LED lately, and a couple weeks back had a look at two so-called plant LEDs in a local fish store.  The fellow kindly placed them over a planted 20g tank so I could see what they looked like.  One had white lights and a row of red down the middle, with separate switches.  The white alone was not bad, but very cold.  As soon as the red was switched on with the white, the black gravel in the tank became purple, very remarkably so.  Mixing colours for good aquarium light is not easy.

I recently bought a new All Glass light for one of my tanks, and like the others I purchased several years ago for other tanks, the tubes in it are red/purplish.  I expected this and they went to the recycling.  The Aqueon Floramax also do the same.  This is common with plant or aqua named tubes.

I am assuming you have just the one tube, so here I would recommend a tube with high red, blue and green.  Tubes with a Kelvin (this is the measurement of the colour temperature of light) between 5000K and 7000K, or a CRI (colour rendering index) between 80 to 100, tend to work best, both for plant photosynthesis and overall appearance.  Unfortunately there is more to this, as the phosphors themselves affect the light, so all full spectrum or 6500K tubes are not the same; manufacturers can make these differently.  One might expect the full spectrum Aqueon tube that Steven linked to be it, but this is not a good tube.  I acquired one (two actually) only a couple weeks ago, and found them very disappointing, and they too will be going to the recycler very soon.  It is hard to explain just what this tube does, but it is very "blah" light.  The greens of the plants took on a sort of greyish hue.  It is easy for me to see these various hues, as with 8 planted tanks in the room, changing to a different tube over one of them can be compared with the others.

There are two tubes I would recommend here.  One is the ZooMed UltraSun (6500K) and the other is the Hagen Life-Glo (6700K).  I have both and they are nearly identical.  The Life-Glo is probably the best single tube light for a freshwater planted aquarium.  These are also stronger intensity that other tubes of the same size/wattage.

Byron.

It's also true that as florescent bulbs age they drift toward the red spectrum. So this can be a sign that the bulb needs replacing. 

Chad said:
It's also true that as florescent bulbs age they drift toward the red spectrum. So this can be a sign that the bulb needs replacing. 

I didn't know that ... good to know. Thanks Chad :)

It's a common problem reef keepers face. As their bulbs age algae begins to grow because as pointed out above, plants and algae thrive in the red spectrum. T5HO bulbs last about 6-10 months before they begin to shift. Vital for reefkeepers, less so for planted tanks. But at some point it becomes noticeable to the naked eye and often in algae growth. 

have you got any idea how long T8's last before they start to change their colour spectrum?

It depends on the brand. The manufacturer's web site usually lists recommended replacement times. 

thank you, I'll see what I can find online :)

Sorry for hyjacking OP

Akasha72 said:
have you got any idea how long T8's last before they start to change their colour spectrum?

It is more the intensity that weakens.  I replace my T8 tubes every 12 months.  One year I let them go to see what happened, and around 15 months I noticed algae increasing.  So I would replace them every 12 months.  As they burn, the intensity lessens quite a bit and plants slow but algae can take advantage.

algae was part of the reason I was asking. I'm getting quite a bit of green spot algae on my front glass all of a sudden and I was thinking it could be my tubes. You've just confirmed it for me so thank you :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back