Lettuce For Mbuna

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
Thinking about putting some lettuce between all the ocean rock for the Mbuna to nibble?

good idea?

Absolutely, they love it!! It rots quite quickly if not eaten, so keep an eye on it and be sure to remove it before this happens.

They also like other greens, especially spinach i found.

Going a step further, i used to make my own food for my mbuna, spinach, lettuce and prawn into the food mixer, whizz it up and make it into little cubes to freeze. Its worth trying. they go wild, and it gives them a very varied diet. :good:

Absolutely, they love it!! It rots quite quickly if not eaten, so keep an eye on it and be sure to remove it before this happens.

Going a step further, i used to make my own food for my mbuna, spinach, lettuce and prawn into the food mixer, whizz it up and make it into little cubes to freeze. Its worth trying. they go wild, and it gives them a very varied diet. :good:

thanks Pal

am sick of being ripped off by the LFS LOL

good idea about making your own!

make sure you DO NOT use what we in the US call iceberg lettuce. you really need ROMAIN for the benifits of the vitamins. iceberg has NOTHING benificial in it.

also, parboiled sliced zucchini will be a huge hit with the mbuna AND any plecos you may have, they adore it!

I've fed broccoli (the tiny little buds), cocktail shrimp, romain, fresh spinach torn up, snow peas with the hard seam taken out etc.

thanks Pal

am sick of being ripped off by the LFS LOL

good idea about making your own!

Here's a link to some more homemade recipes if that's what you are interested in.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/food_recipes.php

also if you plan on makeing your own frozen food you can purchase spiralina powder at local health food stores. you can add that to the mix that was suggested earlyer to kick it up a notch. Also they love shelled peas.

when feeding "leaves" such as lettuce, cabbage etc make sure you dip it into boiling water for a second or two, or better still freeze it overnight and then thaw it, as this denatures the cellulose in the leaves which the fish do not have the disestive enzymes to break down, if you dont, the fish with gain very little/zero nutritional benefit at they were just not designed to eat terrestrial plants.

hope that helps

neil

when feeding "leaves" such as lettuce, cabbage etc make sure you dip it into boiling water for a second or two, or better still freeze it overnight and then thaw it, as this denatures the cellulose in the leaves which the fish do not have the disestive enzymes to break down, if you dont, the fish with gain very little/zero nutritional benefit at they were just not designed to eat terrestrial plants.

hope that helps

neil

nice tip their Neil, thanks a lot

Nonsense removed - back on topic please.

F

Most reactions

trending

Back