Lesions on head and someting on tail fin?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

outofwater

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time. Hope everybody and their fishy friends are doing well.

Last week I noticed a spot on one of my cory, and thought maybe it had scratched herself on something. As I'm getting ready for water change I oticed that now there are two spots, look like lesions, and something of a discolored spot on the top of her tail fin.

Video here. https://www.bitchute.com/video/SbGkJONOkwWB/

Thinking of doing salt baths, any other suggestions as to what it could be and how to treat it?

29 g tank.
just tested water, prior to water change:
  1. Ph. 6
  2. Nitrite. 0
  3. Ammonia. 0
  4. Nitrates. Somewhere between 5 and 10.

All tests done with API water test kit.

Tank is stable, over 2 years running, no new fish, plants or deco introduced in the last 12 months.

All fish get along. I spent a good 30 minutes looking at their interactions earlier today and didn't see anyone getting close to her, try to nip or anything like that. And she's swimming, eating and acting her usual self. She's not shying away from the others either.

Tankmates:
13 neon tetras
3 ottos
4 other cories (2 albino and 2 peppered)

Thanks for any insight you may provide.

Attachments

• 20230702_104507.jpg
    20230702_104507.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 25
I got an error when trying to see the video. The picture wasn’t too clear and I’m not an expert, but you might want to look up hexamita and see if that matches what you’re seeing.

I got an error when trying to see the video. The picture wasn’t too clear and I’m not an expert, but you might want to look up hexamita and see if that matches what you’re seeing.
Trying the link again, and just noticed it says that the video is still "being processed"

https://www.bitchute.com/video/SbGkJONOkwWB/ via BitChute

Checked what you suggested and honestly it doesn't seem like it. I was thinking it could be some fungus.

I just caught here laying on the sand, under a leaf. For a moment it looked as if she was trying to scratch that spot.
UPDATE: She's DEFINITELY "scratching" it with the leaf. She won't leave the spot and she keeps bobbing her head sideways and sliding ever so slightly to "scratch" both spots.

Attachments

• 20230702_164630.jpg
    20230702_164630.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I will wait for someone more knowledgeable to hopefully come along and give you some guidance.

excess mucous or fungus (probably mucous). add some salt.

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks
Hi @Colin_T thanks for the reply. Ill start today, I delayed the water change to start treatment. One thing I'm not clear about the dosage: so, I start with 1 Tbsp per 5 gallons. I assume that's one and done, right?
Wait 48 hours and then, if needed; add 1 more, or 2 Tbsp?

I assume most of the salt remains in the water even as fish and plants consume it and evaporation changes the concentration, so I suppose the correct way is to add incrementally and wait; rather than repeating the dosage daily.

Could you please clarify/confirm? I tried reading about it but couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

Thanks again

Add 1 more tablespoon per 5 gallons after 48 hours if no improvement. You don’t add any more but leave it at that concentration for 2 weeks. If you do a water change within that 2 weeks, that new water coming in needs to have the same concentration as the tank, so it’s not diluting your treatment.

salt doesn't evaporate or get used by plants, so add 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres, (5 gallons). If there is no improvement after 48 hours, add another heaped tablespoon of salt for every 20 litres of water.

Just wanted to thank you guys, the salt seems to be working. The lesion closer to the middle of the back is almost gone, the one on the head is closing/healing nicely. Salt worked wonders. I might add another dose on the next water change if healing stalls.

Replace the salt you take out with your next water change, I would treat for another week or so. When you're ready to stop treating, you'll need to make small frequent water changes to get the salt out slowly so as not to stress the fish 👍🏻 glad its helping, its the only thing I keep in my fish medicine cupboard

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back