Leopard Gecko!

No, i said dusting calcium carbonate 6 days a week and the NUTROBAL once a week. I just use nutrobal on a sunday as its easier. what are you going to be feeding this gecko and how big is the "adult" your getting

I went to the shop where i get my snakes from and they spray the leos tanks, 2 times a day. I said they dont need to be sprayed as they live in dry places in the wild where it wouldent get very humid. I went on to say they only need a misted hide box, all the hummidity would give them respiritory problems and they would get sick. The man told me i dident know what i was talking about.

Was i correct or was the LFS?

I will be feeding it mealworms and crickets. (live, i dont like to use pre-prepared foods)

Sean

Aquariums often times make poor habitats for reptiles only because the acclimation period takes MUCH longer than if it were in a mesh cage. The ventilation is better in the mesh (obviously) plus it doesn't give such a "held captive" feeling to the lizard. This is just what I learned when I had an iguana... I also seem to remember that a heat rock or any other sort of hear source the lizard can lie directly on can actually begin to boil him internally with out him moving off it. Use heat lamps with UV... much more healthy.

Aquariums often times make poor habitats for reptiles only because the acclimation period takes MUCH longer than if it were in a mesh cage. The ventilation is better in the mesh (obviously) plus it doesn't give such a "held captive" feeling to the lizard. This is just what I learned when I had an iguana... I also seem to remember that a heat rock or any other sort of hear source the lizard can lie directly on can actually begin to boil him internally with out him moving off it. Use heat lamps with UV... much more healthy.
we dont use mesh vivs in the UK for leos its mainly chams that we keep in mesh vivs.and very few people keep Leos under UV in the UK where as iggys do need uv

Heatlamps often burn geckos. I've seen some horrific burns from heatlamps. And UV lights are not nescaserrary (why can i not spell that word!) for leos. Hmm... speaking of leos. better go get the crix dusted for mine :D

Bret

In a 30 gal you could keep maybe a couple females together. Males fight eachother. Once or twice a week dust food with calcium d3 powder. Keep a small thing of calcium powder in the tank at all times. I feed mine a small pinky mouse once a month, but this is because i cant find any calcium powders near me. You can only leave calcium powder in with them, if you use calcium powder mixed with D3 in the tank at all times they can OD on the D3. Heres mine, ive had him for about a year and 6 months-

Attachments

• Leo2.JPG
    Leo2.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 51

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back