Leeches - What To Do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alanlbrown

Reaction score
Hi, am in need of ome expert advice. I have a large tank with mostly guppies and swordtails and in the last few days I have noticed what looks like leeches attached to fish and plants - probably 4 or 5 of them. They are small at 1-2cm, thin and swim like a snake. They have attached themselves to fish in no particular position - I guess wherever they can get a hold. A day later they tend to have removed themselves and the fish seem fine.

Should I be concerned - will they cause harm or are they nothing more than an unsightly nuisance?

What is the recommended treatment?

Thanks

Alan

Need location for a med.
In the uk there anti crustaceon med by interpet but it wipes the benefical bacteria out in your filter.
There another med but think you can only buy it online its called wormer plus.
Always steralise plants before you add them to the tank.

Leeches

Symptoms:

Infected fish can be seen with worm-like organisms up to 2 inches, which firmly attach to the skin, fins, or gills. Red lesions or sucker marks may even be present.

Cause:

Leeches. Leeches feed on flesh and blood and can cause significant damage if they are not dealt with swiftly. Leeches often carry various bacterial and parasitic illnesses; therefore, secondary infections may follow. Leeches are usually introduced into the aquarium via live foods and plants.

Treatment:

The most effective medications are Fluke-Tabs, Clout, Paragon and Trifon. Salt dips are also very effective. Removing live Leeches from fish is not advisable considering how strongly they adhere to the body of the fish. Attempting to remove them may cause significant pain to the fish as well as physical damage. The lesions caused by the parasites should be treated to prevent secondary infection as well as aid in healing. Carefully dab the wounds with Methylene Blue. If you suspect that your fish may have a secondary bacterial infection, it is highly recommended to supplement treatment with a medicated antibacterial food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back