LEDs not working with timer?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello! There is an aquarium where I work. This is a Monday through Friday workplace, so the fish have been living in the dark all weekend. I put a timer on the lights to fix this situation, but have run into an issue that I am hoping someone can help with. The aquarium lights are LED lights that are turned on and off with a touch sensor on the lid. I set up the timer as I have done for my 6 tanks at home and made sure that the lights were ON. Unfortunately, these lights, once they go out, do not come back on until someone touches the sensor on top. The timer is working just fine. The lights go out when they should. They just don't come back on at the appropriate time until someone touches the sensor, which of course, defeats the whole purpose of installing a timer in the first place.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a work-around? I may just get new lights with a toggle switch but since this is a work tank, I want to make absolutely sure there is no other way to make this work without spending money.

Thank you.

This is kind of unusual, not sure what that sensor is for exactly to be entirely honest. Not come across this personally at all.

Is the sensor a small pad thing which you may feel a small 'click' when you press it or is it like a sensor where you simply cover it with your finger to enable it to switch on the light.

I wonder if covering the sensor with some tape and a bit of sponge or something like that would help at all, to eliminate you needing to touch the sensor every time. Am sure there must be a way of bypassing this sensor.

If you could send a link with a website with the same lights you use with the sensor, that may provide a bit more information in which we may be able to help with suggestions.

when the touch sensor losses power it is resetting to off state. Most mechanical sensors will stay in the last position you leave then in. They have mechanical memory. Touch sensors have no mechanical and in most cases no electrical memory.

I am not surprised by your experience. I can only think of 3 solutions.
  1. Live with two day blackout. A two day blackout weakens algae and may not harm the fish. Plants are more resilient.
  2. Replace the Led with one with a mechanical switch.
  3. Attach the timer to a second lamp that is only used on the weekend.

The aquarium lights are LED lights that are turned on and off with a touch sensor on the lid.
Indeed, I have a Aqua one light like that and the only way around it is to rewire the light, and this needs to be done by a licensed electrician because if its not done right it can be a fire hazard or kill somebody, Its prob cheaper to get a different light, turning the power off with a timer also sets the light to off mode.
You need a light with a conventional toggle on/off switch.

This is kind of unusual, not sure what that sensor is for exactly to be entirely honest.
They work kinda like those bedside touch lights ,

This is the light I have.
Aqua One Smart Touch LED (6w) Clip-On Light

A close up of the " sensor " on my light.
FwOUNz2.jpg

They work kinda like those bedside touch lights ,

Oh, I guessed as much, what I meant was, what is the actual sensor is for rather than a simple on / off switch.

I have since found out, if this is the right LED light from Fluval, the sensor can control how bright or dim you want the LEDs to be, the longer you hold the sensor the brighter or dimmer the light becomes and a single touch either switches the LEDs on or off, fairly simple really but again, I ask, why, there are light controllers available that can do this sunset / sunrise type of thing with certain lights if this is needed but to manually do this on a regualr basis does not make complete sense to me.

This is a tricky one to overcome if you want a timer attached. As NickAu has already mentioned, rewiring is an option but only attempt this if you have the know how and experience otherwise the risks of fire or loss of life is very real. Not to be recommended to the average DIY person tbh.

Other than rewiring or obtaining a different light unit, I am struggling to think of a way around this light sensor.

Manually switching on and off the lights every day quickly becomes a real chore as time goes on, so a timer is pretty much a neccessity to keep good regular lighting times.

I think this is a design flaw to be entirely honest, a LOT of fish keepers rely on timers to keep regular timings of the lights, fish NEEDS regular timing of lighting, especially overnight as the requirement of complete or near complete darkness is a must for their health.

A few days without aquarium lights is perfectly fine as the natural daylight will provide light for the fish and the plants to a certain extent but not for prolonged periods.

Thank you all for commenting. Yes, it is the type that must be touched to be turned on. I looked at replacement lights but at the LFS, they were about $50 for the cheap ones. I have to check with my employer before I spend that much to replace lights that technically still work. I'm sure there's something cheaper on Amazon anyway.

I completely agree that these lights are so poorly designed that they could be considered a design flaw. It is a national geographic rimless bow front. Not my favorite tank to be honest. There are a lot of things about its design that make it more difficult to work with.

I'll check out different replacement lighting options and run it by the boss for approval. Thanks again all!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back