The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

G

Guest125821

I am very interested in adding dwarf baby tears in my standard 5 gallon aquarium. I currently have the cheap LED light that came with kit and am looking to upgrade. I saw this light on Amazon and wanted to know if you think it would work for growing dwarf baby tears. I would also like to know if a pressurized co2 system and liquid fertilizer would be needed as well. I would love to have a beautiful planted tank. Thank you to anyone who responds.

Link to amazon: https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Aquar...491402587&sr=8-3&keywords=aquarium+led+lights

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the reviews say it does will with plants so I think it's worth a shot!

Baby tears is used as a carpet plant to cover the substrate. It is often used with larger plants. Many people grow it with CO2 But that is not required. for any planted tank a good fertilizer such as Seachem Flourish comprehensive or Brightwell Aqauatics Florinmulti plant care is almost always a recommended.

Tap water frequently doesn't have all the nutrients plants need. Seachem includes all but 1 of the required nutrients. Seachem doesn't include nickel but in most low tech (no CO2) aquariums that is not a problem. Brithwell has all except potassium and nitrogen. Many aquariums with fish will have sufficient nitrogen and potassium. However if you measure less than 5ppm nitrate or less than 0.5ppm potassium supplement with a nitrate or phosphate fertilizer to 7ppm nitrate and 1.3ppm phosphate. If I don't fertilize my 5 gallon aquarium I will see 0ppm nitrate and 0.2ppm phosphate. I use a standard aquarium test kit to monitor nitrate and a Hanna Instruments HI713 Phosphate meter to measure phosphate levels.

Today most all white LED lamps will have enough red and blue light in their spectrum for plants to grow. However a small low cost lamp may not be bright enough for the plants. For low brightness plants you can leave the lamp on longer to compensate for some of the low light output of the lamp.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back