Led lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

g930751

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what led watts I need for a 130l Aquarium please :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
The taller the tank, the more wattage you need to get light down to the bottom.

H55 x W92 x D41 cm

It's also a planted tank

I don't know if watts is a reliable measure of LED lighting, any more than it is for other types. If one is comparing identical tubes/bulbs/diodes then higher watts would indicate stronger light, but when comparing different tubes/bulbs/diodes, meaning ones that are not made identically the same way, watts is not a measure of intensity but only the energy needed to produce that light. A simple example, using CFL 6500K Daylight screw-in bulbs (the spiral type): A 15w bulb will produce brighter light than a 9w bulb of the identical same type/make.

Intensity and spectrum are both critical for plant growth. Plants only use red (primarily) and blue light to photosynthesize, and the intensity must be sufficient for that plant species (they differ). Much of the LED light is primarily blue with very little red in the "white" and this is where the light fails for planted tanks. I have tried five different ones, all failed, so I went back to my T8 fluorescent. But there is good, very good, LED lighting for planted tanks but it seems to be very expensive. Other members will bee able to advise on which is OK.

Other factors enter the equation too, such as the method: high-tech will diffused CO2 needs more intense lighting than low-tech, generally speaking, or algae will become an issue. And different plant species, some need more light than others, and in balance with the required nutrients.

Most reactions

Back