Lamprologus Ocellatus

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

joshua

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i'm getting 2 off someone and am wondering what care shud be administrated to them and what to look out for as they cost like 10 times regular african cichlids here and wouldnt want them dying on me :no:

was wondering how to sex them... is size diff the only comparison? im getting a pair where one is only slightly bigger than the other

i currently have pics PICS

and was wondering if anyone could confirm that those 2 are male n female as that is the pair that i would be getting

Joshua,

Adult size:

Males 2" (5cm) Females 1.5" (4cm)

Males will have a orange/red edging to the tip of the dorsal fin.

females dorsal edging will be much paler, often white.

The female will have much more lavender coloring to her flanks then the male, but the soft rays of her anal fin will be lacking in color to where the males will have color.

The pics you provided are suspect at best, but if I was to venture a guess going from them, I would have to say it's two (2) males.

Although the pH of Lake Tanganyika has been measured in places to be 9.0, it is not necessary to maintain the pH of your aquarium at this. In fact, unless your tap water is 9.0 (unlikely) I would acclimate them to what your normal water values are.

I have bred these successfully in a pH of 7.2 and 7.8 and they thrived!!

It does way more harm than good to "adjust" the pH to attain the lake's parameters.

The only instance I would adjust the aquarium pH is if these are wild caught straight from Lake Tanganyika or they are currently being maintained in a pH higher than 8.0!!

Hope this helps give you some guidelines to judge the two fish you are contemplating getting.

there is another guy who wants to sell N Brevis and he says they are still juvies so it isnt too easy to sex them. any tips to sex them?

Most reactions

Back