Kuhli Loaches

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Brahmza

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all. Looking to get 4-6 Kuhli Loaches in my tank. It's a breeder tank, and the reason for my post is I'm curious if they would be a potential threat to eggs/fry. It's a 55g tank with 3 pairs of German rams in it. One pair of electric blues and 2 of German blues. I just retired my common pleco and I'm looking for something smaller, and I've always liked the loaches. I have a shoal of 6 green cories currently. Would the Kuhli loaches be a viable addition? Or would they get to the rams eggs?

If anything I would be more worried about the rams causing damage to the khuli loaches. I have had my bristle noses breed in a tank with a whole swag of khuli loaches and no problems but I suspect that rams would be a lot more pro-active and protective than a male bristle nose.
I am very weary of adding really docile fish like corys or khuli loaches to tanks that will house/ breed fish that can get very territiorial. Corys have no clue about territories and can easily get nipped and bullied daily, and khuli loaches dont mean any body any harm either. Even their sole defence of a tiny spike above their eye seems too innocent to really hurt another fish, unless the other fish tries eating the khuli loach head on.

Alright cool. Though my rams are territorial, they each only occupy a small section of the tank. I have 3 smallgroups of plants set up with breeding rocks in them that each pair has taken a liking to. Leaving a lot of open space and substrate and a large cave for the kuhli loaches and cories. Thanks for the help! My LFS has them for 1.99$, gonna pick up some and see how they do!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back