Kuhli Loach

rfisher

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Kuhli Loach. I have only just set my tank up and I am looking into which fish to buy and come across these in my Local Fish Shop. They look really interesting. Any feedback would be appreciated.

A very nice, very hardy fish. These have been in the hobby for decades and most aquarium books should cover them. One of my very first aquarium fish.

Several species, mostly get to around 8 to 10 cm depending on the species. The typical species is Pangio kuhlii but there are others. Some authors refer them to the genus Acanthophthalmus, and you'll find them under the Acanthophthalmus name in much of the aquarium literature. Females deeper bodies than males, but breeding in aquaria is rare. They don't like very warm water (22C is perfect, and no more than 24C). Best kept in groups, especially if you want to see them. Single specimens are legendarily shy. Needs sand for burrowing and lots of places to hide. Eats anything a Corydoras would, but small invertebrates fed at night (e.g., frozen bloodworms) are especially popular. Totally peaceful so keep only with gentle fish (no aggressive dwarf cichlids!).

There are some similar species, some of which prefer warmer water, but are otherwise similar.

Cheers,

Neale

Actually, very few kulhis sold tend to be 'true' kuhlis. A lot are myers, but frankly, unless you count scales, rays etc, when they die, you haven't got much of a chance of properly IDing them due to the huge range of colour patterns, mutations, etc. They very rarely burrow, instead snuffling around for food like cories, but sand is still needed. Big groups are a must, I've currently got 10 of assorted types, they've improved in their visibility but not as much as I'd like, so another lot of 5-10 will be arriving soon. Considering how tiny and skinny they are when you buy them, not only should they be fed lots of meaty foods (mine love the occasional lancefish), but care should be taken with filters as if there's a way in, they'll find it. Oh yeah, hard as hell to catch, be prepared to spend the majority of your time with them playing chase around the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back