Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some answers plz,

1.How much eggs can they produce?
2.Do they accept gravel?
4.Can 4 of them breed together?
5.Must I seperate the fry from them?
6.What are their suitable tankmates(in terms of invertibrates and bottom dwellers)

Here are some pics of them

What species are they?

img0419tp0.jpg

img0418kt5.jpg

img0416dr1.jpg

Pseudoepiplatys annulatus.

All depends what you are wanting to do with them. From your question you probably wish to have a go at breeding them.
I keep mine in a 18x10x10 tank with dim lighting no substrate, a sponge filter and a large clump of Java Moss coupled with Salvinia natans as top cover.
Also included are 4 floating synthetic yarn spawning mops.
The water is soft slightly acidic ph 6.0. and the temperature is around 75'F.
I have 2 males to 6 females in that tank.
This is a hybrid spawning setup in that the fish can spawn in the natural fashion (amongst the plants) and also I can collect some eggs from the mops as well.
The eggs are very small as you can imagine but they will lay plenty given the proper conditions. Not as prolific as Fundulopanchax species but still produce a good deal of eggs given their small size.
The eggs will hatch after 12 - 18 days but here lies the problem....The fry are very small too small to accept microworm or newly hatched brineshrimp so Paramiceum/infusoria must be offered. This will be in abundance in the above setup but you will need to provide artificial means to offer to the fry if you decide to collect and hatch the eggs elsewhere. If left together the larger fry will eat the smaller siblings This species are very slow growing and it will take anything up to 7-9 months before they are sexually mature, but you should be able to sex out the males after 4 months.
Lastly I keep Corydoras habrosus with them to mop up any uneaten food.
I hope this was of some help to you
Regards
BigC

Ty for the info,

u still did not said how many eggs can they produce?In terms of hundreds or tens?

can i feed liquifry inside of infusoria?

They are onli 2cm can they spawn?

u still did not said how many eggs can they produce?In terms of hundreds or tens?
You cannot put an exact figure on this but it will certainly not be hundreds depending on your sex ratio setup it won't be long before you have a lot given the correct conditions are met.

can i feed liquifry inside of infusoria?
If you have floating or plants in your aquarium then infusoria will be present, liquifry for egglayers is what I would use not only as a fry food but to help the infusoria to multiply.

They are onli 2cm can they spawn?
Ps. annulatus are only a small species attaining a length of around 40mm. You say that yours are 20mm well providing you have both sexes they should be almost sexually mature. try checking the mops for fertile eggs.

Regards
BigC

I good rule of thumb is the size if the fishes eye will determine the size of food to offer, it might be weeks before they can take newly hatched brineshrimp. and I mean newly hatched because brineshrimp double in size and loose nutritional value by the day. Infusoria/liquifry for egglayers - vinegar eels - microworm/newly hatched brineshrimp - grindalworm/crushed flake then adult food wich will also consist of the aformentioned.

Most reactions

Back