Keeping freshwater shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Feline

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi!

Saw some shrimps in an lfs (probably amano, but all they say is "algae shrimps" :dunno: ) and got some questions to ask:

1. Will they prefer hard or soft water?

2. If they prefer hard water (which I think they would, for developing the shells), is it better to put water hardener in, or just use cuttlefish bone?

3. Will they be ok with pond snails, an Apple snail and some guppies?

What other things I need to take extra care of?

Cheers! :thumbs:

:sad: So no one knows anything about shrimps? :dunno:

I tried to ask the people in the lfs, n all they say is "yeah they'll be fine as long as u acclimate them to your tank" but didn't give any more advice really ... -_-

I would go with soft. They should be okay with those fish... It would be great of you could provide java moss for them as i find all shrimps like moss :D

Well, I got one on Friday from my lfs and he advised me that they were peaceful and would scutter around from place to place, just chilling out and catching bits with their dusters. He said no need for special feeding reqs, they would pick up all the leftovers and assorted junk flying through the ether. So far, he's climbed everything and found himself a little hideaway to rest in. His colour has come up real nice since Friday, a warm bamboo colour, with orange highlights and a nice white band above his tail. :wub:

Have to say though, when he first opened up his mouth bits I was nearly sick! I wasn't expecting it, but now I'm used to it it's the coolest thing ever!

My betta wasn't sure at first, and gave him a good stare (like the ADFs and glass catfish before...) but now he's bored and lets him get on. I think he's decided that all those legs, sticks and feelers are far too hazardous to a fish with such huge skirts to maintain... :dunno:

Last seen with his face directly in the Fluval current, like a labrador with it's head out of the car window! :lol:

ive got three shrimp. all algea eating shrimp. 2 rudolphs and one tiger shrimp. i rarely see the tiger shrimp but he crawls around and cleans up mostly around the wood i have. the two rudolphs hang around on the plants and are busy all day. they need to have algea to eat though or they'll die. my water is pretty soft and my tiger shrimp and rudolph have shed their skin twice each so the abscence of any amount of salt doesnt seem to keep them from molting. the fish leave them alone and theyre pretty quick to get out of the way if a fish gets a little to curious. i wouldnt advise keeping them with larger fish as they might make a meal of them. i just have neon zebras rosye barbs and dwarf cories as well as a rainbow shark and they all leave the shrimp alone. also i put one in my crab tank and they left him alone as well.

Wow thanks so much for all the advice guys!! :D :thumbs:

Eddie, did u post your shrimp pic here b4? Seem like I've seen it here.... it's a cool pic btw! :wub:

Most reactions

Back