Keeping A Filter Alive

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paul-discus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I sold all my discus last night in order to start keeping different fish but it will be a few days before i get them, in the meantime there are no fish in my 80 gallon tank so can anyone tell me how i go about keeping the filter alive, many thanks...Paul

as far as i know, if you still have the tank running and the filter is still in it, then it should be fine as the filter will survive on the waiste that is left over from your discus. as long as you dont remove it from your aquarium i see no problems of course ask somebody else as well! :) hope i was of some help

once u reduce the fish the filter will start to decrease in bacteria unless the correct amount of amonia is added
if i was you id just add the new fish a few at a time and as soon as posible
or maybe get something in there for the mean time take some out of another tank?
or u could even lower the heat and drop a gold fish in lol

just put in a few flakes of fish food.edit; every day. all uneated food turns into ammonia thats why people who overfeed their tanks have high nitrates. if you don't feed your bacteria ammonia they will die but not all at once. some will die and this will feed the rest, its natures natural progression but in time they will all die. bacteria eats and converts ammonia into nitrite in a healthy tank almost instantly

If there are no fish or other living things in there you can keep your nitrifying bacteria alive by adding ammonia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back