Juwel Rio 125 Tropical To Marine Conversion

had a bit of a shock when it uncurled itself. i hate tank worms. one of the corals had a branch munched by the thing and it started to turn to goo. the cleaner shrimp sorted it out though and its recovering now.

P1310406.jpg

Heres the ricordia, its grown quite a bit since i got it so hoping it will split some time soon.

P1300396.jpg

picked up a rock of closed up zoas for a fiver, thought id see if i could rescue them, if not got some more live rock.

Found a nice Anemone last week for a really good price so after a bit of tank investigation i decided to get it. it spent the first week exploring my whole tank and has now found a nice spot, one that i like too which is a relief. still waiting for the clowns to go near it. iv been feeding it red plankton.

P1310400.jpg

Heres a couple of pics of the fungia and a few randoms.

P1270371.jpg

P1310404.jpg

P1310403.jpg

P1310407.jpg

P1310408.jpg

yeah its a beast, its grown since that photo was taken. still not splitting :(

the clowns havent gone anywhere near the nem yet, they tend to stay away from the rockwork and corals. hopefully theyl venture over at some point.

time for an update...

started noticing a bit of hair algae and cyano in the tank and after a bit of investigation noticed my skimmer inlet was blocked slightly :(. the build up of fish waste must have set it off. iv stripped it down and give it a good clean and the growth seems to have stopped.

bought an algae blenny and 4 turbos to clean it up. theyv been at it a week now and the tanks almost back to where it was with the exception of the cyano. ill be scrubbing it off tomorrow when i do the water change in the old water.

got a pair of aquaray duo leds and took off the hagen glo t5 kit. the lightings much better and the bta seems to be out more with the improved light.

bought a couple more kg of lr/coral bones to help with filtration.

got a couple of koralia 1's and removed the 600lph jet powerhead. circulation is a lot better and im no longer getting dust floating on the top of the water.

pics to follow

yeah think so, been feeding half a lance fish every few days. does it look ok? how do you get the tips to bubble more? only does it on a night when the lights are starting to go off.

been a while since i did an update so here goes....

decided to sell the sinulara as there wasnt really anywhere to put it.

had a good clean yesterday and got rid of most of the cyano. added rowaphos in a diy reactor which has slowed the growth massively. theres loads of new coraline under there. of to get some seachem nitrate remover to put in there tomorrow too.

before the clean
P5260210.jpg

and after. Missed a bit of cyano on the back as it good a bit cloudy in there. Rearranged the rocks and corals slightly too.
P6040266.jpg

the wife disturbed the nem when she was feeding the manderin when i was away last week and its moved under the rock :(. just pops out through the day now
P6030253.jpg

P5220117.jpg

Fungia feeding on lance fish
P6030255.jpg

Table coral has attached itself to the rock
P6030250.jpg

Duncans with loads of new heads growing
P6030249.jpg

Mushrooms
P5220116.jpg

Buttons growing new heads
P5220117.jpg

zoas and a candy canes
P6030247.jpg

P6030251.jpg

P6030252.jpg

torch
P6030257.jpg

toadstool. the clowns have started taking an interest in this lately so fingers crossed :)
P6030263.jpg

Xenia and pipe organ
P6030260.jpg

P6030261.jpg

P6030246.jpg

got this one of the manderin stretching its fins. been in the tank over a month now and is doing well.
P5260203.jpg

gonna concentrate on getting the tank super clean now then maybe try some acropora

Some great photos, the fungia one is brilliant - how about putting it on Lewis' photo comp thread?

:thanks: hoping to get an slr soon with a macro lens to get some real close up shots :)

Looks like i missed the photo comp :(. maybe next time

had a bit of a nightmare yesterday with the nem. i was having a bit of a change around and the rock on top of the nem slipped and tore it. looked real bad yesterday as there was a big gaping hole in the middle.
P6050281-1.jpg

P6050277-1.jpg

i thought id at least give it a chance rather than take it straight out so i left it over night. got up this morning and it had moved and looks like its going to split. keeping a very close eye on it incase it takes a turn for the worst.
P6050283.jpg

P6050284.jpg

on another note i made a diy reactor with 500ml of seachem nitrate remover and 250ml of rowaphos powered by a 600lph pump that i had lying around.

parts list:

tub from tesco £3
plastic sieve from tesco 69p
rowaphos £16.99
seachem nitrate remover £13.99
1 metre of tube £2.50 (only needed a few inches)
600lph pump £0
egg crate £0
gillette razor bag £0

P6040276.jpg

P6040269.jpg

i started by drilling a hole in the bottom of the tub slightly smaller than the tubing. forced the tube in slightly making sure it was a tight fit. attached the powerhead to the other end of the tube again making sure it was a tight fit.

the first layer was an eggcrate stand to support the basket for the seachem media. the basket was made from the plastic sieve and was a perfect fit.

next i cut the mesh out from the gillette razor bag and laid it on top of the seachem media. the rowphos was put on top of the mesh and covered with half of the filter sock that come with the rowaphos. i put a layer of eggcrate on top of it to keep it in place.

next i tried to cut a hole in the lid but it just shattered to around the size i wanted it anyway :) the rest of the filter sock was glued over the hole in the lid. the lid was then clipped on and the pump turned on.

just waiting for them nitrates and phos to hit zero now :) the cyano looks like it has stopped growing completely already.

P6040274.jpg

P6040275.jpg

Loving the DIY reactor mate :good:

Nice Astra aswell :D which engine is it mate? i drive a silver Astra aswell with the xpack like yours 1.9 cdti 3 door.. thinking of changing to a 5 door though.

Loving the DIY reactor mate :good:

Nice Astra aswell :D which engine is it mate? i drive a silver Astra aswell with the xpack like yours 1.9 cdti 3 door.. thinking of changing to a 5 door though.

Like the diy. Hey i got a silver Astra too (1.7 cdti 5dr)

Most reactions

Back