Juwel Bioflow 3 Filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

danb

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I have aquired a juwel vision 180 fish tank, after buying an external tetratec ex700 new and having it leak i sent it back to the shop and swapped for the juwel internal bioflow 3 filter. In the instructions it says that the filter needs to be 1 cm above the water line, but is the filter supposed to be on the base of the tank too? if i was to silicone the filter so that it was 1 cm above the water line it would be about 2 inches from the base of the tank.

Sorry i havent described it very well, hope someone can help.

Danny

Hi Danny,
if the filter you have got as a replacement is the same as the original juwel filter then it does sit above the bottom of the tank and possibly by 2 inches. i removed 1 from my rio 180 the other week to install an external as you know and it sat suspended by silicone on the back glass of the tank.

Matt

Hi Danny,
if the filter you have got as a replacement is the same as the original juwel filter then it does sit above the bottom of the tank and possibly by 2 inches. i removed 1 from my rio 180 the other week to install an external as you know and it sat suspended by silicone on the back glass of the tank.

Matt

Thanks for the reply, yeh its direct replacement apparently. Did your gravel go upto the bottom of the filter or was the filter above your gravel? Also, is there a hole in the bottom of your filter?

Cheers

A lot of people dont like the juwel internals, depending on your fish load you may need a better filter.

I own 3 juwel tanks and ive cut the three boxes out of each in favor for other filters.

the main reason people take juwel filters out is because of the room they take up. most people upgrade to an external regardless of how well they think the internal filter works, it's usually for aesthetic reasons, and ease of maintenance.

i personally think juwel filters are brilliant, especially compared to other internals. they have a fairly slow flow rate, but plenty of media, which means the water gets filtered better each time it passes through the filter. rather than a higher turnover and less media, meaning the water gets filtered more, but not as well (if that makes sense)

originally the filter in the tank would have come a bit closer to the bottom of the tank, but it shouldn't matter that it doesn't. just make sure there isn't potential for fish to get stuck by either piling up your substrate so there isn't a gap, or deliberately leaving a big enough gap for the fish to swim under it freely.

when you say there's a hole in the bottom, do you mean a grid on the same side as the outlet? or actually in the bottom of the box? if its the grid it's supposed to be there, if it's in the bottom of the box i'd have a look at the instructions and see if there's any mention of it, or ask your dealer

the main reason people take juwel filters out is because of the room they take up. most people upgrade to an external regardless of how well they think the internal filter works, it's usually for aesthetic reasons, and ease of maintenance.

i personally think juwel filters are brilliant, especially compared to other internals. they have a fairly slow flow rate, but plenty of media, which means the water gets filtered better each time it passes through the filter. rather than a higher turnover and less media, meaning the water gets filtered more, but not as well (if that makes sense)

originally the filter in the tank would have come a bit closer to the bottom of the tank, but it shouldn't matter that it doesn't. just make sure there isn't potential for fish to get stuck by either piling up your substrate so there isn't a gap, or deliberately leaving a big enough gap for the fish to swim under it freely.

when you say there's a hole in the bottom, do you mean a grid on the same side as the outlet? or actually in the bottom of the box? if its the grid it's supposed to be there, if it's in the bottom of the box i'd have a look at the instructions and see if there's any mention of it, or ask your dealer

Thanks for the reply, i think juwel filters are great too and arent that much of an eye sore. There is 2 like 1cm holes on the very bottom of the filter, underneat the side where the heater is. I presume its meant to be there .... ? no mention of it in the instructions

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back