Just wanted to share

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ElizabethFrancine

Reaction score
b4b262a3b645da19c2f62a30484d0d29.jpg

A little while ago I noticed some teensy tiny fry in my tank. I had assumed they were cardinal tetras, but now their true colours are showing and I can see they are Panda Corys. This is a very cool surprise, as I'm not trying to breed them and I've had Panda Corys for a long time. There are three that I have seen so far - all different sizes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardinal tetra are not easy spawners, and even if they did spawn, they are egg scatters so the eggs are more likely to be eaten by themselves and other fish.

Panda cories by contrast are fairly ready spawners, and as they place each egg individually, some have a better chance of surviving to hatch. The fry will often find infusoria and other micro foods among plants, chunks of wood, etc, and avoid predation. They eventually appear in the open, usually at a size that may go unheeded by other fish, unless you have a larger species that is more aggressive than either cories or cardinal tetra.

It is always nice to see an unexpected fry or two; it shows the fish must be fairly content.

Byron.

Cardinal tetra are not easy spawners, and even if they did spawn, they are egg scatters so the eggs are more likely to be eaten by themselves and other fish.

Panda cories by contrast are fairly ready spawners, and as they place each egg individually, some have a better chance of surviving to hatch. The fry will often find infusoria and other micro foods among plants, chunks of wood, etc, and avoid predation. They eventually appear in the open, usually at a size that may go unheeded by other fish, unless you have a larger species that is more aggressive than either cories or cardinal tetra.

It is always nice to see an unexpected fry or two; it shows the fish must be fairly content.

Byron.
Very interesting.

I've had the Pandas for over a year, but over the last several months my Danios have all (but one) died - So maybe that was the catalyst to making them feel more content in the aquarium.

Yes, I don't have any fish that are very aggressive anymore, so maybe that is why they are starting to come out while they are so so small.

I have seen three, all varying in size so I wonder if there have been a few different times that the Corys laid they eggs.

Anyway, this is nice!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back