Just want to say

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Oldspartan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have been on computer "forums" since the days of bulletin boards in the mid 1980's. Rarely have any of the forums been so filled with nice people. Most forums in the past have been full of snark, sabotage, and generally speaking small groups of people who are what i call keyboard brave.

This forum is full of people who are genuinely knowledgeable, stay on subject and offer real useful information. I am pretty sure I will be a taker of info and not a giver. I have no knowledge of fish keeping to offer unless it is about actual angling on local lakes and streams. So, I appreciate the patience that is here for those of us learning by asking basic questions.

So a tip of my hat to you all!

I have been on computer "forums" since the days of bulletin boards in the mid 1980's. Rarely have any of the forums been so filled with nice people. Most forums in the past have been full of snark, sabotage, and generally speaking small groups of people who are what i call keyboard brave.

This forum is full of people who are genuinely knowledgeable, stay on subject and offer real useful information. I am pretty sure I will be a taker of info and not a giver. I have no knowledge of fish keeping to offer unless it is about actual angling on local lakes and streams. So, I appreciate the patience that is here for those of us learning by asking basic questions.

So a tip of my hat to you all!
The quality of content here is fantastic. It's really hard to find good information online. In this day and age, misinformation is a problem. But I've gotten so much good info and insights from this forum. There are so many knowledgeable, experienced and informed people posting here. It has raised my fish keeping game immeasurably.

We're a good bunch here and we're glad to hear you'll be sticking around! We're all learning still as well no matter where we are in our understanding and capabilities, and I'm sure there's lots we can learn from you! There are a few on here who love a spot of fishing too 👍🏻

@Oldspartan
I've been a member of this forum for 11 years now. I have been a moderator for going on 5 years. We have lots of knowledgeable members here willing to help others.
I'm glad I landed on this site when I was seeking help when I came back into the hobby in 2013 after a 14 years respite.

Thanks for becoming a Supporting Member. We show no ads to registered members on this site so the site owners appreciate those members who donate $12 per year to help alleviate the costs of running the site.

The mods keep this site on track as we weed out any flagrant offenders who are just here to disrupt the forum. As you can see in my avatar, I wield the ban hammer to use when necessary to knock out any spammers.

If anyone else would like to help support this forum,
CLICK HERE to see how you can donate to the forum.

Last edited:
As mods, we don't have to intervene that often. I think we have a sort of critical mass of people who like building communities and have skills to offer. There are enough people talking sense that nonsense gets pushed aside. Members try to be polite, and things work well. @Oldspartan , you're now part of it!

I learn new things all the time here, and I've had fish all my life. A new fishkeeper can look for things and report on them, and I may never have considered that as useful. When I read it here, it can help me solve problems or advance projects I may have been looking at from the wrong angle. It's fun here.

It doesn't matter what your experience is as long as you share it for others to gain from it.

This a good bunch of people here . We have everybody from the very newest of beginners to regular old time hobbyists to people who are actually scholars . The unspoken code of conduct is adhered to and I appreciate that . I can honestly say that I’ve never read anything obviously malicious or threatening nor have I read anything that erupted into a flame war . The cops here nip that baloney in the bud . What I have found here is people who genuinely want to be helpful and see others succeed . The Great TFF Forum is a kind of online Aquarium Society .

Here is the secret to it all. The forum trolls of old wanted attention. The advent of social media made it possible to greatly empower idiots much more than forums dedicated to specific topics such as keeping fish in glass boxes and backyard ponds could.

Many years ago I used to moderate the chat room of a few sites. Back then management often ruined their sites. Today it is the users, But back then most forums did not exist to make money. This has become the major thrust behind social media.

Here is another secret. I have been using Google search almost since it was launched in 1998. It was at the end of that year that I first went onto the internet, Prior to that one surfed using direct dial via copper phone lines. The quality of the search results has been declining now for at least 15 years. But Google's profit has been increasing much faster as a result.

Rule #1 when searching on Google, never ever click on a sponsored result. Learn to go beyond the first page or two of results as this may be needed to find a decent answer. I hate ads. I do my best to avoid them and when that is not possible I ignore them. I have an assortment of ad blocking and anti-tracking software. which works very well.

Trick #1- I am not registered with Google, Facebook, etc. etc. Trick #2 I do not store cookies or history. Trick #3 I pay for both my email provider (email is encrypted) and my picture hosting. Trick #4 I have almost no apps and the ones I do have no connection to any of the places I am not registered. Trick #4 I do not do tabbed broswing. Every site I visit is in its own window. When I close that window I have software that delete anything that was connected to the visit made in that window.

Most folks today are not able/willing to do what I do. I have been active on fish sites since my first tank in early 2001. Many of them have closed over the years. More people in the fish keeping world know twotankamin than my real name. If we deal f2f or if you buy my fish, then you know the real me. When I was introduced to Jools from Planet catfish at the first CatCon I attended he did not recognize my name. But when somebody said I was TTA, I was lifted of the ground by a big hug.

And the above tends to explain why here is basically a nice place. Not many trolls show up. Folks mostly treat each other decently and with common courtesy. The only thing I regret is that most of the members here will not meet many of the others members in person. I met people from the early sites where I was a member. But many of them have since shut down. Fish clubs have also dwindled in membership numbers as well. More interactions are on social media these days.

There are few filters on social media. There certainly is almost 0 fact checking. On this site if somebody misstates the facts, they will usually be corrected but in a non confrontational fashion. I like to quote the science ;)

At this time I can only think of 3 fish related sites where I still post: TFF, PlanetCatfish and the pair of MFK sites--> Aquaria Central and Monster Fish Keepers (but I am way less active on these two).

One last observation. The sites I have mentioned may or may not make money for their owners. But I doubt anybody is getting rich from owning a fish forum. But then the people who do the day to day management on forums are not being compensated. For them it is a labor of love.

Most reactions

Back