Just tested my aquarium here are the results

cougargirl50

Reaction score
Ok I just tested my aquarium. I switched from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank on April 18th. I put the Bio Spira in on Tuesday April 19th. As soon as I got home from bying the Bio Spira it went in the tank.
Here are the results of my tests:

PH 7.2
AMMONIA .25
NITRITE 2.0 (way to high)
NITRATES 0

My tank looks really good, its clear, and the fish look really good. But why is my Nitrite level so high???????

My last water change was April 18th. When we switched from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank. I took EVERYTHING from the 10 gallon tank Filters, gravel, decorations and whatever else.

I have 3 goldfish in there, and the temp is around 70 degrees.

Can someone give me some ideas of why the nitrites are so high.

Thanks for the help.

There are many factors that can cause a nitrite spike....

I would do a couple of good water changes over a couple of days to lower the Ammonia and nitrite levels and build up the good bateria again!

There are a few possible options as to why you have ammonia and nitrites especially if you moved everything from the 10 gallon.

First off, how long had the 10 gallon been running and did you have any readings in that tank? Also, how long were the items out of the water and how long was the filter off in the change over?

You really should be doing weekly water changes, especialy with goldfish. They are extremely big waste producers. The general rule of thumb for goldfish is 1 inch of full grown fish for every 2 gallon of water. Based on that, one goldfish is almost overstocking a 20 gallon tank. How big are they now and do you plan to rehouse them again later when they outgrow the 20 gallon tank?

As for the Bio Spira, I haven't had any experience with it myself but it is supposedly a great product IF it has been handled properly which is usually not the case. It must be kept refrigerated at all times or the bacteria die off and it becomes useless.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back