Just Started Cycling My 29 Gallon Tank! Recommendations/tips Pleas

Is it light blue or is it a grayish color? If the bottom turns purple right away, then the nitrite is off the scale.

Remove the water to get rid of the nitrite and reduce your daily dose of ammonia to 3ppm.

Thanks eagle it turned from purple to light blue to grey so im assuming it was way off the chart. I just performed my 100% water change while i was at it i took out my gravel substate and replaced it with sand and filled back up with temp matched, and prime de-chlorinated tap water and hoping it bounces back within the next day or so. I would have a melt down if the process had to start all over again :crazy:

Allright so its been about two hours since I changed the water, I changed it down to were the siphon would no longer suck up water with the gravel out. I just tested every thing and am very confused over the readings. Ammonia was around 4ppm, Nitrite was a pretty darker purple between 2-5ppm and the Nitrate was either a dark orange or red hard to tell since its not daylight here. I dont get why my nitrite and nitrate readings are so high even with a 100% water change. Ill restest my tap results tomorrow but other then that are there any explanations for this?

Well, your nitrite was off the chart for several days in a row, right? So, there is no way to be sure of exactly how high it might have actually been. 1ppm ammonia processes to 2.7ppm nitrite. So, if you were daily adding 5ppm ammonia for 3 or more days, then the nitrite level could be as high as 40+ppm. :crazy: Then, you said your self that you didn't remove it all as some water remained in the tank. Also, you removed the substrate... any chance that there was muck in there, which when disturbed added ammonia to the tank?

Well, your nitrite was off the chart for several days in a row, right? So, there is no way to be sure of exactly how high it might have actually been. 1ppm ammonia processes to 2.7ppm nitrite. So, if you were daily adding 5ppm ammonia for 3 or more days, then the nitrite level could be as high as 40+ppm. :crazy: Then, you said your self that you didn't remove it all as some water remained in the tank. Also, you removed the substrate... any chance that there was muck in there, which when disturbed added ammonia to the tank?
When draining the tank at around 20% water left in the tank i took all the substrate out then drained till i could siphon no more. There was some muck in the substrate and im sure some still remained when i put the sand in and filled back up. So im guessing just that little amount of water could be the cause for the high nitrite and nitrate even after the refill? :unsure:

The nitrite was a dark purple and the nitrate was a dark orange almost red.

Depending on how much muck you kicked up, you put ammonia, etc. back into the water column that hadn't been there for a while.

Allright good new! The ammonia did return to zero! I will reduce my ammonia added to 3ppm just like you mentioned. Ammonia was at 0ppm Nitrite was +5ppm and Nitrate is between 80-160ppm. Also tested my tap water and everything was 0 with ammonia being around .25ppm. Other then decreasing the amount of ammonia added is there anything to watch out for so it dosent suddenly stop again? Once again eagle i really appreciate your help!

The biggest thing to watch is excessively high nitrites and nitrates. I would consider dropping to 2ppm ammonia for a while, while the nitrite continues to stay off the chart. The good news is that having such high nitrates indicates your nitrite is being processed, just no quickly enough yet.

You could test your tank water with some tap water to determine how high the nitrite really is right now. Add 1mL tank water to 4 mL tap water and test that for nitrite (after a good shake of course). Then multiply your result by 5 to determine your current tank nitrite reading.

What figure would you consider excessive for nitrites/ates?

If too high then I assume a water change is necessary.

Nitrites that are off the chart would be excessive. The bacteria you are trying to cultivate to deal with nitrite prefer levels around 0.14ppm or lower. Another type prefers 14ppm. So, if you are over the chart, you are starting to encourage the wrong bacteria.

Nitrates aren't an issue at high levels like you have unless they are driving down the pH. The bacteria need a stable pH and a higher pH is generally better during a fishless cycle (8.0-8.4 is ideal).

I don't think a water change is necessary right now. Right now, I would say that it is fine, just keep an eye on it. If it stays off the chart for another 5 days, then another water change would be good. IF not, then :yahoo: the end is closer than you might have thought.

Hmmm. My nitrites have been 5ppm and above for a few days. Would you advise a water change?Had upped my ammonia to 5ppm. Sorry for hijacking your post gdoggy

The reason might be due to upping the dosage prematurely. You could do a change or you could just drop the dosage to 3ppm until the nitrites come back down. If it doesn't come back after a few more days at a lower dosage, then yes I would do a change.

<br />The reason might be due to upping the dosage prematurely.  You could do a change or you could just drop the dosage to 3ppm until the nitrites come back down.  If it doesn't come back after a few more days at a lower dosage, then yes I would do a change.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Cheers eagle. As always advice sounds good.

Allright eagle i did the thing you mentioned with 1ml tank water and 4ml tap water and it is turning out to be the same exact color as the regular 5ml tank water! Which is towards the end of the chart. I dont see how its possible to be the same color even after being diluted. Arrg im hoping my cycle ends up turning out all right soon :unsure:

The only thing that makes sense to me would be that it is exceedingly high.

Most reactions

Back