Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S South America

• Central America

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barracks can be used many times, but with cups, well, the customer takes the cup.
Not me.. i didnt take the cup, i got my betta at petsmart and i had the employee bag the fish for transport because i was concered the lid would come off and spill, then i would have a betta flopping around on my car floor.

I'm surprised at places like petsmart where they have the tanks together on one filter system they dont have a big tank divided into 1 gal. sections to house the bettas. That would be better than keeping the bettas in cups and the maintenence would be less.

CENTRAL!, it meens right in the middle, how can i be closer to one if im in the middle?
afishdude: looking at your map i would say your closer to Northeastern U.S.

untitled-3.jpg

We need to show the big companies pain in terms of financial loss. We need to reach the public first, show them the problem in the correct manner and have them join.

You really don't understand the real world yet, at least I still don't (as much as I think I do)!

A lot of people don't really have time to do the things you suggest. Like for instance rallying against bad LFS, and making documentaries that majority of people won't watch or care about... Although these are all good suggestions, they just aren't realistic... :nod:

Im afraid that the above is true, you need to get used to the real world, its a cruel place.
To answer your costs running costs are things liek electricity and stuff, barracks have running costs as they normally have a trickle filter which runs across them, however cups have no running cost.

P.s im from England not America, hence the signature...

We need to show the big companies pain in terms of financial loss. We need to reach the public first, show them the problem in the correct manner and have them join.
You really don't understand the real world yet, at least I still don't (as much as I think I do)!A lot of people don't really have time to do the things you suggest. Like for instance rallying against bad LFS, and making documentaries that majority of people won't watch or care about... Although these are all good suggestions, they just aren't realistic... :nod:
Alright, I came to this realization earlier. No rallying, just let's send a letter to their main office, the petition, well signed, and wait three months. We also need to stay professional.
Barracks can be used many times, but with cups, well, the customer takes the cup.
Not me.. i didnt take the cup, i got my betta at petsmart and i had the employee bag the fish for transport because i was concered the lid would come off and spill, then i would have a betta flopping around on my car floor.I'm surprised at places like petsmart where they have the tanks together on one filter system they dont have a big tank divided into 1 gal. sections to house the bettas. That would be better than keeping the bettas in cups and the maintenence would be less.
CENTRAL!, it meens right in the middle, how can i be closer to one if im in the middle?
afishdude: looking at your map i would say your closer to Northeastern U.S.
untitled-3.jpg
I thought you mean't inbetween North and South America.

I'm surprised at places like petsmart where they have the tanks together on one filter system they dont have a big tank divided into 1 gal. sections to house the bettas. That would be better than keeping the bettas in cups and the maintenence would be less.
Most of those tanks are only about 10 gallon so dividing them would mean only 10 fish to a tank. Since most of those stores stock 60 to 70 bettas (too many in my opinion), that would be 6 or 7 of their tanks dedicated to bettas and they really don't have enough tanks now, thus having 15 oscars or 30 goldfish in the same tank. And that really wouldn't help much with maintenance as the dividers would also have to be wiped clean every time they clean the tanks so that would be more time spent on each tank and would also make vacuuming the gravel in those tanks more difficult.

I only vacuum a small portion of my gravel.
Then maybe we should be sending you letters about how you keep your fish. I'm only kidding about that but if you don't vacuum all the gravel, you will soon have a large build up of waste in the gravel that can cause problems. The bacteria that break waste down into ammonia use oxygen and if there is too much waste to be broken down, those bacteria can use the oxygen that your nitrifying bacteria need to process ammonia. You have to get the waste out of the tank. And gravel vacuuming does not have any effect on the bacteria colony as there is only a very minute amount of nitrifying bacteria in the gravel unless you have a UGF.

Edit: And this is my last post in this thread as I think it is time to let it die.

Jourdy, stop assuming that every single PetSmart and PetCo employee only cares about money that we never see and doesn't like fish. I have spent 2 hours at a PetCo teaching an employee about common fish diseases because she honestly didn't know that a lot of the fish had ich and asked me about fish diseases when I pointed it out to her. I work at a PetSmart and everbody in our department cares about the fish. Everybody hates having to euthanize fish when we need to. We try to get people to take care of their fish properly but so many people have seen other people keep goldfish and bettas in small bowls that it is almost impossible to get some people to put them in a filtered or larger tank.

PetSmart employees are supposed to change the water in the cups and feed the bettas every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I don't know how often PetCo employees are supposed to change the water but it's probaly just as often. The policies are reasonable and don't need to change. A sign with info about how to properly care for bettas would be great but if people would just do a quick search on the internet they would get all the info they need.

If the bettas at your local PetSmart or PetCo aren't being taken care of THE CUPS DO NOT NEGLECT THE FISH THE EMPLOYEES DO!!! I don't know how many people have to tell you this before it gets through your head. Your petition is junevile and poorly worded. It will be ignored and you will be asked to leave whatever store you walk into. The employees at my store would be insulted that you said they weren't caring for fish or educating customers properly.

This is my last post in here. If anybody wants to discuss it or reply to anything I said just PM me.

at the fish store i go to, the guy puts bettas in smaller containers within a larger tank, hung from the sides of the tank for display. this makes it so there is more water for the betta and that the bettas will not fight with eachother. i think its a good idea, but at other stores like petco and stuff i see so many bettas, i think it would be hard to find a place on a side of a tank for all of them.

Jourdy, stop assuming that every single PetSmart and PetCo employee only cares about money that we never see and doesn't like fish. I have spent 2 hours at a PetCo teaching an employee about common fish diseases because she honestly didn't know that a lot of the fish had ich and asked me about fish diseases when I pointed it out to her. I work at a PetSmart and everbody in our department cares about the fish. Everybody hates having to euthanize fish when we need to. We try to get people to take care of their fish properly but so many people have seen other people keep goldfish and bettas in small bowls that it is almost impossible to get some people to put them in a filtered or larger tank.

PetSmart employees are supposed to change the water in the cups and feed the bettas every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I don't know how often PetCo employees are supposed to change the water but it's probaly just as often. The policies are reasonable and don't need to change. A sign with info about how to properly care for bettas would be great but if people would just do a quick search on the internet they would get all the info they need.

If the bettas at your local PetSmart or PetCo aren't being taken care of THE CUPS DO NOT NEGLECT THE FISH THE EMPLOYEES DO!!! I don't know how many people have to tell you this before it gets through your head. Your petition is junevile and poorly worded. It will be ignored and you will be asked to leave whatever store you walk into. The employees at my store would be insulted that you said they weren't caring for fish or educating customers properly.

This is my last post in here. If anybody wants to discuss it or reply to anything I said just PM me.

I totally agree. We need to do this in a professional manner and ask large companies to add more employee training.
Will post more Saturday.
And by the way, I do change areas of gravel cleaning.

Please do not bother posting more on saturday, if you "totaly agree" then you will agree is an absolute disgrace, its completely pointless, and its time you let it die! I have tried being polite but seen as you wont drop it forget my enthusiastic manners, im gonna be straight to the point, STOP LIVEING IN A FANTASY WORLD let this thread die.

Jourdy, stop assuming that every single PetSmart and PetCo employee only cares about money that we never see and doesn't like fish. I have spent 2 hours at a PetCo teaching an employee about common fish diseases because she honestly didn't know that a lot of the fish had ich and asked me about fish diseases when I pointed it out to her. I work at a PetSmart and everbody in our department cares about the fish. Everybody hates having to euthanize fish when we need to. We try to get people to take care of their fish properly but so many people have seen other people keep goldfish and bettas in small bowls that it is almost impossible to get some people to put them in a filtered or larger tank. PetSmart employees are supposed to change the water in the cups and feed the bettas every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I don't know how often PetCo employees are supposed to change the water but it's probaly just as often. The policies are reasonable and don't need to change. A sign with info about how to properly care for bettas would be great but if people would just do a quick search on the internet they would get all the info they need.If the bettas at your local PetSmart or PetCo aren't being taken care of THE CUPS DO NOT NEGLECT THE FISH THE EMPLOYEES DO!!! I don't know how many people have to tell you this before it gets through your head. Your petition is junevile and poorly worded. It will be ignored and you will be asked to leave whatever store you walk into. The employees at my store would be insulted that you said they weren't caring for fish or educating customers properly. This is my last post in here. If anybody wants to discuss it or reply to anything I said just PM me.
if the employees at your store are insulted, thats their problem GO JOURDY
What is the running cost? Also, WHICH PART OF CENTRAL AMERICA ARE YOU IN? Don't mean to be rude, but if you are in the northern part of the Central America, choose SW North America.
untitled-3.jpg
LOL dude :hyper:
Personally i wont be signing, as i dont think its especially cruel, at the end of the day the cups are temporary. You cannot try to make businesses run paradise for the fish they are selling, aquatic stores dont run on an especially big profit margin as it is and also their is no chance this petition would be took seriously, sorry if i ruffle any feathers just my opinion.
I agree wholeheartedly and have been saying the same thing since the petition and this thread started almost a month ago. In almost a month, it only has 70 signatures. About 1,000,000 more and you may have something. No offense jourdy but it's time to let this thread die.
Come on RDD, it aint doing no harm this thread, the OP dude is determined and if peeps aint interested they dont need contribute, the fact that peeps coming into the thread criticising it, and saying it needs to "die" actually making it longer, GO JOURDY

Please do not bother posting more on saturday, if you "totaly agree" then you will agree is an absolute disgrace, its completely pointless, and its time you let it die! I have tried being polite but seen as you wont drop it forget my enthusiastic manners, im gonna be straight to the point, STOP LIVEING IN A FANTASY WORLD let this thread die.

why the attitude? no need for it, i think Jourdy being quite a cool dude considering the flack and personal insults he getting

I have'nt given a single "personal insult" i have insulted this thread and i stand by everything i said. The fact of the matter is, no fish store is going to take anything like this seriously, and cups are not a particularly bad way to sell bettas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back