Just curious...

FalconStorm

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, I've seen the name betta imbellis around, and the pics I've seen look like plakats, but I haven't found anything that confirms this. Are they plakats? Also, they're called the peaceful betta. Just how much more peaceful than betta splendens are they?

They're another species of Betta that easily hybridizes with Betta splendens.

They do look similar to Betta splendens Plakats, but they are a different species. Aggression does depend on the individual, but you can put most Betta imbellis males together without a fight. Not all, though.

Really? That's fascinating. Is there a way to be sure that the fish is a betta imbellis and not a plakat? Something I should look for. I think it would be cool to have a group of them. Also, would they get along with betta splendens females or would the females beat up on them?

The Betta imbellis males would be interested in mating with Betta splendens females, and they likely would do so. I really doubt the female Betta splendens would beat up on them. The female Betta splendens would likely treat the male Betta imbellis as male Betta splendens.

As for ways to tell them apart...it's fairly difficult. They do look quite similar to Plakats, and are such a very closely related species that it can be extremely difficult to tell.

http://www.ibc-smp.org/species/imbellis.html

Here's their IBC (International Betta Congress) species listing, with a whole bunch of pictures. Quite the lovely fish. I've been trying to get some for months, and haven't had any success.

FalconStorm said:
Okay, I've seen the name betta imbellis around, and the pics I've seen look like plakats, but I haven't found anything that confirms this. Are they plakats? Also, they're called the peaceful betta. Just how much more peaceful than betta splendens are they?
Plakats have red bars on their gills. Imbellis has green bars on their gills.

Really? Hmm...that's good to know in my search for the elusive B. imbellis....

Itty Bitty Betta said:
FalconStorm said:
Plakats have red bars on their gills. Imbellis has green bars on their gills.
:lol: damn, haven't seen you here for a while, did you ever get any imbellis itty? ;)

Most reactions

Back