Just brought a tropical fish tank

Yep water changes are important, i do 25% every week with my tanks although once a fortnight is sufficient. simonbrown403 is spot on, you need to get the water you are adding to at least approximately the same temp as the tank and this is easy enough using the hot and cold taps and a thermometer.

Changing the filter media (sponges etc) depends on the type, your filter should have come with instructions on when and how to do this.

I actually keep a 5 gallon bucket filled with water that has been declorinated around all the time, it even has its own heater and airstone, to keep the water heated and moveing so when i need to refill one of my tanks which is fairly often i have the water lieing around. This allows me to have a constant supply of water at the same temp as my tanks.

The first tank i had, i cycled with tetra's, they seem to have worked pretty good. Plus they are cheap, so except for the fact that a fish of yours just died you didnt loose much money.

As for Bettas, I keep him in a separate 2.5 gallon tank with a small heater and filter set on low speed. Male Betta's tend to build bubble nests for you and if there is alot of current in the tank, the buble nest will come apart. You also dont need to cycle a Betta tank. With my 2.5 gallon betta tank, i change the water once a week, I change the carbon in the filter once a week and change the filter media once every two weeks. You can head over to the betta fourm for more info.

I wouldn't suggest a male betta in your tank, as a lot depends on your filter flow, the personality of the betta and the type of fish you have in with them (i.e. NO tiger barbs!). You should cycle a betta tank ideally, but they're hardier than a lot of fish, like tetras. I wouldn't use anything but danios if you cycle your tank witth fish, guppies aren't as hardy as they used to be, and neither are a lot of fish. Other than the betta and sharks, what other type of fish do you like?

so when you do a water change does the water need to be treated before you put it in?

and whats the best way to get 25% of the water out?

The water needs to be treated with dechlorinator, either as you add it or before you add it. I add it to the bucket of water before I put it in the tank. As for getting the water out, I syphon it out and use the sucking end of the syphon to get any detritus from the tank substrate. Just hover the syphon over the substrate and slowly lower till the gunk starts to come up.

Jon

as for your fighting fish question I keep mine in a 100 gallon tank with medium size angels, fan tailed goldfish, male and female guppies and variouse other fish people say they will attack but the only fish he has attacked and infact killed was a female fighter fish got him for a bit of..... :whistle:

......maybe he issues he needs to address. :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back