Jewel fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Samsonpaul

Reaction score
Recently I bought a pair of Jewel Cichlid fish but male always chasing female and biting, nipping so I put female in another tank... I searched & read many topics about Jewels but nothing works I literally became a fan of this fish and want to breed them please suggest me

The best way to get a breeding pair of cichlids is to buy 8-10 young fish and grow them up together. When they mature they can pick their own partners and make better pairs.

If the male doesn't like her, he probably won't ever like her.

Jewel cichlids are really angry fish and don't sell. Even if they do breed, you probably won't be able to get rid of most of the babies.

I've bred several jewel species. They take large tanks, lots of cover and a high tolerance for ugly, brutal behaviour. I had one pair that signalled spawning when the female would appear with no tail/caudal fin. It would be gone, right down to the base. In a few weeks, it would grow back like new, something I have seen with other nasty fish. They heal well.
Then they'd spawn again and the brutality would go on again.
Most Cichlid fry are nondescript things, but jewel babies are actually cute. No one wants them, as @Colin_T noted above. You can't give them away, even if you raise them to full colour. In nature, red is a warning colour, and it's only a few aquarists like us who ignore that. Their reputation is well established.

They're open spawning softwater fish that will adjust to moderately hard water. I would never keep them in a tank less than a metre on the front glass. Plus you need to have a second aquarium if the violence gets too extreme and one of them needs to be saved.

To add to the already great advice given, cichlids are like humans. You can’t just put a male and female together and expect them to mate. They need to choose their own partners.

I've bred several jewel species. They take large tanks, lots of cover and a high tolerance for ugly, brutal behaviour. I had one pair that signalled spawning when the female would appear with no tail/caudal fin. It would be gone, right down to the base. In a few weeks, it would grow back like new, something I have seen with other nasty fish. They heal well.
Then they'd spawn again and the brutality would go on again.
Most Cichlid fry are nondescript things, but jewel babies are actually cute. No one wants them, as @Colin_T noted above. You can't give them away, even if you raise them to full colour. In nature, red is a warning colour, and it's only a few aquarists like us who ignore that. Their reputation is well established.

They're open spawning softwater fish that will adjust to moderately hard water. I would never keep them in a tank less than a metre on the front glass. Plus you need to have a second aquarium if the violence gets too extreme and one of them needs to be saved.
Thank you..., and yes I found female without tail/fins so I separated it.. Again 2 weeks later yesterday I joined them but male again chasing chasing like Tom & Jerry..., Again separated. I don't want to lose anyone of them And I kept in 2 feet Biotape tank Is it okay... Check the picture

Attachments

• IMG_20240115_225848.jpg
    IMG_20240115_225848.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 10
There are nine species of Rubricatochromis jewels, all similar, and all mixed up in the hobby. It's hard to give general advice. Personally, I wouldn't use a 2 foot tank, if they are adult sized. I still prefer managing the aggression a little with a 3 foot tank (1 metre). It doesn't mean a two footer wouldn't work, but it's a risk.

Most reactions

Back