Java Fern or NOT?

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just bought yesterday what the guy at my LPS said is a java fern. i've read a lot about these guys and they all say their hardier than any other plant. However, i saw a few pics on the internet and mine looks almost the same. almost . however, mine seems to have an extension :crazy: of the leaves on some of them, two or three of what looks to be like a curled up leaf. these extensions are small. however some leaves dont possess these extensions, and they look exactly the same as the pics. so now im really just curious, but as long as it lives, im happy.

Sounds to me like you might possibly have babies! Java Ferns reproduce on the backs of mature leaves - little baby plants with tiny curled leaves grow from the spores. If this isn't it (hard to tell from your description), you've probably just got new leaves - watch them to see if they unfurl - when Java ferns grow new leaves they are all curled up and slowly get uncurled into smaller leaves. :)

Thanks guys! I saw the pic and that is EXACTLY it. But is it a completely different plant or are they from the same family? And which is easier to care for? Both sound easy, but i dont mind a couple of opinions.

It is the same species - Windeløv is a "sport" or "freak" that has been cultivated. Like many garden plants where they are now available in a range of colours - some aquatics have specific "cultivars" - this is one such.

Most reactions

Back