Jack Dempsey Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

iAmMess

Reaction score
I'll start by describing my set up. i have three jack dempseys and one bala shark, my largest jack is over two years old, my other two i had for about approximately 8 months (my father got them when i was away for military training not knowing, i disapproved obviously but i grew fond of them.), the bala shark i've had for about 6 months. I have them in a 29 gallon tank, yes i know too small, i plan on getting a larger set up very soon. I have two HOB filters, and a preset heater which keeps the tank temperature at a steady 75-78. 25% water change every week, 50% water change and gravel vac every two weeks. I feed them sparingly about twice, some times three times per day. The diet consists of gut loaded rosy red minnows two times a month (if that) as a treat. They also get Hikari cichlid bio gold pellets, tropical staple food, and Top Fin freeze dried medley.

Here's the questions:
1. My biggest jacks body color is pale compared to the other two, is that from age or could it be stressed?
2. Another one of my jacks is always in close proximity to the larger one, could they be a pair?(picture enclosed)
3. Some times my jacks get very jumpy, if i go near the tank (such as to turn the light on or off) is that normal behavior?
4. Besides obviously needing a larger tank, could you tell me what size tank? Also if you notice any thing i could change about my set up such as my water changing schedule or any thing of that nature. Criticism is welcome, I'm here to learn how to be a better fish keeper.

Could they be a pair?
Picture098.jpg

Bad picture, but my third jack has really dark colors, almost chocolate brown.
Picture097.jpg

I'll try to get better pictures later.

I am not really sure but it could be due to stress or it could be its breeding colors.

ps; I hope the new tanks at least 7 foot long because thats what balas need, and they need to be in groups to.

Your Jacks look really stressed out, probably due to the tank size and the potential that you have a pair plus one. Mine has not looked like that since she was in the bag on the way home from the shop...

Your Jacks look really stressed out, probably due to the tank size and the potential that you have a pair plus one. Mine has not looked like that since she was in the bag on the way home from the shop...

Thanks for the reply, which one are you talking about? The larger pale one? If i get a larger tank will that solve the problem?

*EDIT*
that picture is a couple months old, it's colors approved but the body is still a little pale compared to my other two jacks. I'll update with a new picture soon.

They all look pretty pale to me. Here is a picture of my 5-6 inch female on one of her 'dull and moody' days:

DSC_0032.jpg

They all look pretty pale to me. Here is a picture of my 5-6 inch female on one of her 'dull and moody' days:

DSC_0032.jpg

Yeah compared to yours i could see the difference, what size tank do you have? I plan on buying at least a 120-150 gallon tank with in the next two weeks. Could noise be a cause of stress also? The tank is in my living room, and my 2 year old niece could make some significant noise but i make sure she doesn't go any where near the tank. Thanks for your time, i never noticed how stressed out they were.

My tank is around 80 USG. 120 USG should work, but I would still be carefull with three. I would get some pics up and let people guess the sex, then if you have two males, possibly rehome one of them along with the Bala as they get pretty big and need lots of space.

And yes, noise and people traffic can scare fish so that could be a possible cause of stress. Not as much as a small tank though.

Finally, try them with some chopped cockle, muscle and prawn. Mine loves it all :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back