i've caught the bug...

Excellent choice Sam, i would much prefer a puffer any day to a betta.

Best of luck with it

Hooray! I've succeeded my mission :p
Good luck with the cycling of the tank as well as the setup :) I'm sure you won't regret your choice :D

Now go and get that third tank! ;)

aaarrrgghhh I don't know where to put my tank :( I've tried 3 places. On top of 2 very old speakers in the dining room but it just looks rediculusly small :(

Kitchen work top - but its next to the microwave.

And finally on the shelf under telly, but it's not any good cos it's not high enough for easy maintenance :(

I've run out of places. The only thing I can think of now is to buy a purpose build aquarium stand thats quite tall, if it has the right height it prob wouldnt look so bad in the dining room.

Tank is now on hold :(

nodding_dino said:
I feel for you houndour...but the right place will jump out at you soon enough ;)
[snapback]869599[/snapback]​

Aw thanks.

I have a ray of hope. Been googling for cabinets and I just took a look at the Juwel ones. I found a site that sells the stands seperate and is free delivery. I can get the reckord 60 or 70 stand for £28. but delivery can take a couple of weeks :( So I'm going to go hunting for one this weekend first. The ones with a cupboard are nicer but are £59.

I was thinking I have enough beechwood left over from the hood (had to buy a massive bit) and I could prob make a stand out of that, but Id be worried it'll collapse :)

Finally on my way :)

Here's the tank set up and the hood in progress :/ I've tried building it myself but I'm just useless. I screwed 2 bits together but they aren't at a 90 degree angle :( Gonna have to ask colin to help me.

Got the heater, filter and CO2 going. And am about to do my research again on fishless cycling :) Hopefully I'll order some plants from greenline to arrive by Friday.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 45
Oh great. Now I know what I'll be doing with the small tank... :clap:

Hood is finally on :) It's a bit big for the tank :*) but at least it fits and the light is fitted.

I got an email from greenline to say my order will arrive tomorrow :) can't wait :D

The plants in the pic are a few I took from the 20 gallon.

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

got my plants!! I hope they will be alright. Last time I got them at work I put them in a bowl, but dont have one today.

The anubias looks gorgeous. It's a lovely green and looks perfect. Just hope I can keep it like that. Kind of wish I'd got more of them now, but at £4.50 they are really expensive. It does say on the pack that they are hard to kill :)

The little £2 pack of 10 foreground plants looks ok too. Cant really see whats in there, but it looks like some hairgrass, and some other small anubias looking, but not anubias plants. So probably worth the £2 so I can fill out the tank a bit to start with.

the baby tears plant is TINY!! It's perfect. I just hope I can grow it. My plan is to plant this in the right back to hopefully hide the equipment.

and finally I have a matted mess of glosso :) oh what fun that is going to be seperating it all! I'm determined to do it properly though and seperate every plantlet.

I feel I need a centre piece. With the lack of small bogwood pieces at LFS I think I'm going to be looking for a long time, so I might use a piece of rock to start with.

Any ideas welcome. I quite like the dark grey jagged like rocks. But maybe I need something lighter for the tank size?

houndour said:
got my plants!! I hope they will be alright. Last time I got them at work I put them in a bowl, but dont have one today.

The anubias looks gorgeous. It's a lovely green and looks perfect. Just hope I can keep it like that. Kind of wish I'd got more of them now, but at £4.50 they are really expensive. It does say on the pack that they are hard to kill :)

The little £2 pack of 10 foreground plants looks ok too. Cant really see whats in there, but it looks like some hairgrass, and some other small anubias looking, but not anubias plants. So probably worth the £2 so I can fill out the tank a bit to start with.

the baby tears plant is TINY!! It's perfect. I just hope I can grow it. My plan is to plant this in the right back to hopefully hide the equipment.

and finally I have a matted mess of glosso :) oh what fun that is going to be seperating it all! I'm determined to do it properly though and seperate every plantlet.

I feel I need a centre piece. With the lack of small bogwood pieces at LFS I think I'm going to be looking for a long time, so I might use a piece of rock to start with.

Any ideas welcome. I quite like the dark grey jagged like rocks. But maybe I need something lighter for the tank size?
[snapback]875763[/snapback]​

sorry for the predictable answer but how about a rock covered in riccia!! :rofl: sorry it's getting boring now, ha ha. it does really well in a smaller tank as the pearls will be huge due to proximity to the light. it'll draw your eye to the centre as well (a bit like in my 12G if you remember it). any good??

lol, well my riccia is absolutely covered in algae. I have a couple of algae free strands in the new tank, and I was hoping these might magically multiply over a few weeks :D So yes, riccia will be in the equation somewhere.

BTW, you've put a spanner in the works with me getting a puffer :( :p waiting for a reply from oddballs people about puffer pH.

houndour said:
lol, well my riccia is absolutely covered in algae. I have a couple of algae free strands in the new tank, and I was hoping these might magically multiply over a few weeks :D So yes, riccia will be in the equation somewhere.

BTW, you've put a spanner in the works with me getting a puffer :( :p waiting for a reply from oddballs people about puffer pH.
[snapback]875808[/snapback]​

yeah sorry about that, thought i might....

i really dont know what they need so cant help i'm afraid.

you can add something to the tank (bicarb i think but definatly not certain) to raise the KH, if you do this every water change you should be okay. the co2 will then dissolve into the water bringing the ph down but not as far as without the addative.

just an idea but sounds right in theory.

no problem james. well I got a reply back from the oddball lot and was basically told that 95% of fish shouldnt be in conditions where pH fluctuates. *sigh* doesn't help massively. Although they did say dwarf puffers will adapt to a different pH.

Anyways, latest pics of tank. I've had to give up tonight and do the rest of the glosso tomorrow, or I'll get frustrated and end up binning the rest. I could really do with some tweezers. Its alot more fiddly in a small tank with any size plant, let alone the glosso. Might get the kit ND has.

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

some close ups
IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

I was more than pleased with the £2 bag of 10 plantlets. I got more than 10! Got a decent size of hair grass, god knows what the other plants are but they are all grassy types with a couple of the wider leaved ones. I've put them all in anyway :)

Most reactions

Back