it's been a good summer for cultivating mosquito larvae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
There are many ways to create a culture one method is to use barley straw all I do is to put some fish tank water into a bucket add straw and place outside near a garden hedge within a few days you will see mosquito egg rafts they hatch after about 48 hours. the new born mosquito larvae is so tiny it almost looks like dust floating on the water it's ideal for feeding too small fry larger larvae can be fed to the adult fish it can be fed to your fish regularly however a variety of foods should be fed
IMG_8188 (640x458).jpgIMG_8165 (640x467).jpg

just a word of caution, it is illegal to culture mozzies in most countries. However, if you happen to have a bucket sitting outside under a tree and it fills up with rain water, it might get mozzie larvae in and you should scoop them out with a fine mesh net so they don't mature and turn into the bitey things. You can then freeze them to kill them (ice cube trays work well), or just feed them to fish :)

A another good live food that breeds with the mosquito larvae is blood worms although not so prolific
IMG_8549 (640x480).jpg
Got a few out of one of tubs a today ,

Watch out when feeding live bloodworms (Chirominid midge larvae) because they have hard heads and sharp jaws and have been known to kill fish that swallow them whole. Fish like Corydoras don't normally have an issue because they chew their food but angels and discus have been killed by the bloodworms biting holes in the stomach.

Watch out when feeding live bloodworms (Chirominid midge larvae) because they have hard heads and sharp jaws and have been known to kill fish that swallow them whole. Fish like Corydoras don't normally have an issue because they chew their food but angels and discus have been killed by the bloodworms biting holes in the stomach.
I've not heard of that before and would assume that this happens in very rare situations or maybe it occurs in certain species of fish

I'll stick with my freeze dried daphnia and freeze dried bloodworms in cans....my fish go crazy over them...soak the blood worms in tank water before feeding

I would never feed freeze dried to my fish there are so many types of prepared food to choose from

I would never feed freeze dried to my fish there are so many types of prepared food to choose from. i feed flake food sinking pellets for some of the catfish that I keep I feed mostly live food it is the best food for getting fish into breeding condition I also feed to all my fish muscles and spinach twice a week

I would never feed freeze dried to my fish there are so many types of prepared food to choose from

Freeze dried food is rubbish and thats where it belongs,

You try feeding re hydrated freeze dried food to Bumblebee Gobys and they wont even look at it.

This stuff is great,
canned_fish_foods.jpg

Freeze dried foods are nutritionally good due to the low temperatures used to preserve/ dry the food. And as long as they are kept dry they remain good for a long time. Unfortunately lots of bottom dwelling fishes don't like them because they are dry and take time to absorb water. However, most surface feeding fishes will take freeze dried bloodworms without any issues :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back