Is this over stocking?

Shnookina

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 28g tank and want to get these fish, I hope this isn't over stocking?

1 Betta
5 Pepper cory catfish
5 Guppies
5 platies
10 neo tetras
and maybe a ghost shrimp

Hi :) ,

Your stocking numbers sound fine :thumbs: except for the betta. A male Betta will see the guppies with their fancy tails as a real threat and proably end up killing them.

Not sure about a female Betta :/ *hopes someone comes along soon to give some help on this bit*

Apart from that, all sounds good and I personally would also add another couple of ghost shrimp :nod: . They won't have too much effect on your bio load and do a great job as the tank "clean up crew".

steve 8)

There is a debate going on about the betta and guppy in another thread, I read on a site that they would be fine with guppies. Maybe its all down to the individual male, some see them as a threat while others don't. Maybe its mostly they do?

my male betta was i with guppies for over two years and they were all fine but maybe it is the individual betta like Shhookina said :dunno:

I also kept one fine with guppies, but from some stories I've heard, I'd say it differs between each specimen.

I think the general opinion is that they don't mix.... however, there are loads of individual cases that prove this wrong, so it's down to the individual fish....

If you're prepared to risk it - then go for it. It may work fine. Most people shy away from that mix "just incase" anyway - I.E. because the potential is there, they don't want to tempt fate.

It's all down to your decision, and whether you're lucky enough to get a peaceful mix :nod:

i've tried the male betta with guppies, it didn't work
after 12 hours, i had two guppies with damaged tails.

however, all bettas have different personnalities. Some will ignore any fish that swims by, while other will kill anything that comes nearby, even your finger!

Most reactions

Back