Is this Ick or something else?

Shift15299

Reaction score
New to the Hobby. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpeg
    IMG_1068.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 15
I'd say not ich, judging by the cluster on the fin. Found this on the internet:
'Ich has very well defined, very white spots only the size of a grain of salt, no larger. If the spots are not VERY well defined and VERY white, it is often another organism. Ich also occur over the entire body of the fish (except the eyes) very uniformly. It never occurs in patches.'

I'd say Epistylis.
'Epistylis is more variable and patchy than ich. And the spots stick out into the water, unlike ich which is always very embedded in the skin of the fish and will only stick out a little bit into the water.'

If you've read raise the temperature, there is a misconception about that. It does not kill ich (if it is ich) but speeds up the life cycle.

Not sure how to treat Epistylis, but you could look it up.
I'd keep the water very clean (large water changes) and possibly isolate it if you have a hospital tank.

Can you give us your parameters?
Nitrate
Nitrite
Ammonia
pH
Other fish in aquarium and their symptoms
Does it have any other symptoms
Did you add any new fish in the past two weeks
Is the tank cycled
How long has the tank been running

Hope this helps!
And welcome to the forum! :)

PPJ

There are a number of small white dots on the dorsal fin that could be the start of white spot. There is also a white clump that could be excess mucous or the start of Lymphocystis, which is a stress virus.

Raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. If it's white spot, the heat will kill the parasites.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels

Convict cichlids and rams don't normally do well together. Convicts are much more aggressive and can kill rams.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back