Is This Guppy Pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DaphneH

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello again. I can't tell if one of my guppies is pregnant. I put a male in with her for a few days about a month ago. Unfortunately the female killed him while I was on vacation... He was only in her tank for about 3-5 days. I decided that my guppy was pregnant because she had a dark gravid spot, but now that it's been a month and her gravid spot hasn't grown, I'm not so sure. Could anyone tell me whether she's pregnant or not?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 147
if it is then goin be hard till it gose loads more darker n bigger

Not sure if it's just me but I don't really understand what wrighty8529 is saying, but it's a female Guppy that's been near a male so the chances are it's pregnant. Could be anything from 4-6 weeks but they will also delay giving birth if it isn't happy with the environment, e.g. other fish or the conditions.

How big is your tank and what else is in it?

I would say no. Gravid spots don't mean pregnancy,it means they have guts. She isn't very large so I would say she is not pregnant. Females don't immediately get pregnant when with males. I bred mine individually and it took about a week and half for them to actually become pregnant. 

bluesword23516 said:
I bred mine individually and it took about a week and half for them to actually become pregnant. 

Just out of interest, how did you determine that they were actually pregnant after about a week and a half?

Lunar Jetman said:
Not sure if it's just me but I don't really understand what wrighty8529 is saying, but it's a female Guppy that's been near a male so the chances are it's pregnant. Could be anything from 4-6 weeks but they will also delay giving birth if it isn't happy with the environment, e.g. other fish or the conditions.

How big is your tank and what else is in it?
What is the name of your signature fish? Is it a saltwater fish?

Most reactions

Back