Is This Brown Algae? Hows My Dosing?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sammy1911

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
27Mar12.jpg

On a few of the plants particularly the anubias on the bottom left and the crypts in the middle appear to have a 'dirty' look about them which I'm suspecting is brown algae!? Its an established tank but I have started over with the scaping and got all new plants which have been in 2-4weeks. In addition to root tabs I have started dosing low using 2ml Profito and 2.5ml Easycarbo the tank holds approx 250ltr or 60 US gallons, lighting I have 1 x30W 4ft and 1 x 24W 2ft which run for about 5-6 hours daily.
I have read that I should just leave it as it will disappear as quickly as it came but I want to check this is correct as I've spent a small fortune getting it set up and am expecting a baby in about 5 weeks so I will have no available funds to replace anything. Here's whats in there: -
Plants:
8 Red Vallis Giant
Vallis (lost count how many as they keep spreading but they're much thinner)
7 Alternanthera Reineckii (growing well but again lower leaves are browning)
2Cryptocoryne Balansae or crispensus? Can't be seen in the pic tho
5 ECHINODORUS AMAZONICUS
1 Anubias var Coffeefolia
5 Cryptocoryne Cordata (i think, there the ones in the middle around the rock)
5 Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red
2 Anubias Barteri var Nana
5 Cryptocoryne Lucens
Bunch Ashpipewort
Potted Hygrophila Siamese

Fish:
5 Pearl Danios
3 siamese algae eaters
19 tetras
2 apisto unknowns

I'm eagerly awaiting any and all comments!!

That looks like diatoms to me. In my experience and from what I understand, they are related to ammonia in the water, what are your water parameters? Even unreadable ammonia will make them come up as well, so water parameters might not indicate the cause.

ProFito and EasyCarbo are not nitrate-free, so are not at fault, but do you know if the root tabs claim to increase nitrate? It's unlikely, but always worth checking…

The only solution I have ever found for diatoms is to physically remove them from everything then do a large (50-90+%) water change day after day after day. They should go on their own with time, but only if the cause is removed and there is a chance of them killing off the plants first.

ProFito and EasyCarbo are not nitrate-free, so are not at fault, but do you know if the root tabs claim to increase with nitrate? It's unlikely, but always worth checking…

I'm not sure that makes sense :unsure:

Yep, Diatoms. It has come and gone in my tank so many times. If you read about it, you will most likely see it said that it appears in tanks while they are establishing. Well my tank is very well established, and it would suddenly appear for apparently no reason
blink.gif
. I would spend an hour with a toothbrush cleaning plant leaves every week, when it was there. Which was no problem, except it is unsettling to the fish. I fitted a UV filter in the end, and haven't seen it since.

Hopefully it will pass, and not come back for you. I paid about 50 quid for my UV filter(which also kills a lot of potential parasites), not what you want to hear with a baby on the way, but worth keeping in mind if it really becomes an issue.

ProFito and EasyCarbo are not nitrate-free, so are not at fault, but do you know if the root tabs claim to increase with nitrate? It's unlikely, but always worth checking…
I'm not sure that makes sense :unsure:
Ammonia in various forms is one of the things that can trigger diatoms. Some plant fertilisers that increase nitrate contain some sort of ammonia instead of actual nitrate. Root tabs are *usually* just minerals, but it's worth checking to be sure that they are not a source of ammonia.

Ammonia in various forms is one of the things that can trigger diatoms. Some plant fertilisers that increase nitrate contain some sort of ammonia instead of actual nitrate. Root tabs are *usually* just minerals, but it's worth checking to be sure that they are not a source of ammonia.

From it not making sense to one of the best answers I've seen in ages :good:
I take it by minerals you mean micro's (Iron, copper, zinc etc)?

Big thanks to everyone who's replied!!

I think I'll feel better if I can do 'something' so I'm gonna go with big water changes every few days (starting tonight) and invest in a couple zebra nerite snails which I've read love diatoms :hey: - I saw them in my lfs only a couple of days ago as they were quite pretty (as far as snails go!). I will pop past and pick up a few on my lunch break tomorrow and sneak them into my tank lol! My OH is getting grouchy with how much time/money I'm spending on my hobby but the £000's he's spent on fishing doesn't count of course..... :grr:

Big thanks to everyone who's replied!!

I think I'll feel better if I can do 'something' so I'm gonna go with big water changes every few days (starting tonight) and invest in a couple zebra nerite snails which I've read love diatoms :hey: - I saw them in my lfs only a couple of days ago as they were quite pretty (as far as snails go!). I will pop past and pick up a few on my lunch break tomorrow and sneak them into my tank lol! My OH is getting grouchy with how much time/money I'm spending on my hobby but the £000's he's spent on fishing doesn't count of course..... :grr:
Hey, fishing is the best!!!!
laugh.gif
....... and the latest carbon rods are a must!.....fish just won't land on the bank without them!
rofl.gif

OMG I've just spent £9 on TWO ZEBRA NERITE SNAILS all these years I've been throwing the bl**dy things away when they appear in my tank and now I'm buying them.... I must be crazy o' no just an hormonal pregnant fish keeper :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DTD - you're sooo not funny, well okay maybe a little :rolleyes:

OMG I've just spent £9 on TWO ZEBRA NERITE SNAILS all these years I've been throwing the bl**dy things away when they appear in my tank and now I'm buying them.... I must be crazy o' no just an hormonal pregnant fish keeper :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DTD - you're sooo not funny, well okay maybe a little :rolleyes:
Set up a tank with some carp, tench and bream, and I bet he will suddenly take a big interest in your fish!
laugh.gif
........... Anyway, buying snails is better than eating chocolate and cheese sandwiches at 1am, or whatever it is that pregnant women eat?
rofl.gif

Set up a tank with some carp, tench and bream, and I bet he will suddenly take a big interest in your fish!
laugh.gif
........... Anyway, buying snails is better than eating chocolate and cheese sandwiches at 1am, or whatever it is that pregnant women eat?
rofl.gif

[/quote]

Do you know him then? He suggested doing just that when I wanted to involve him about restocking lolol

...ummm chocolate and cheese now that's a combination to try!

While he tests his latest baits on the fish you can substitute the butter in the sandwiches for ice cream, and I think you and your baby(to be) will be in heaven
drool.gif
. In all seriousness, I wish you the best of luck. When are you due?

While he tests his latest baits on the fish you can substitute the butter in the sandwiches for ice cream, and I think you and your baby(to be) will be in heaven
drool.gif
. In all seriousness, I wish you the best of luck. When are you due?

I went to mcdonald's earlier, whilst my 4yr old son had a happy meal i had a toffee sundae - delicious! my baby (boy) is about 4weeks away, if he's on time ;) so aside from painting murals on their bedroom walls i will finishing off this tank and getting my puffer tank setup (i'm hoping!). The idea was to rest when i break up but that's so not hapening lolol

Toffee sundaaaaaaaaaaaaaae! Ummmmmmm
shifty.gif
Just think in a few years you will 3 boys going fishing
rofl.gif
At least you will get peace all day to tend to your fishes. Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back