Is This Black Beard Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Spurry

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi my new scape have been running for 5 days i have a bit of bog wood that developed some thing on it ive removed it and cleaned it but could someone id it for me
it started looking white but its now black

IMG_0518.jpg

thanks

I'm trying to get rid of it too Spurry - it's driving me mad :hyper:

Last night I stripped my tank of all the plant leaves that had the algae on. Today I bought new plants. I've re-planted and I'm hoping it won't come back but as a back up plan I bought some stuff by Interpet for removing hairy algae. I've no idea if it works but if I see any more hairy algae it's going in. I'll keep you posted :)

If you have the space, get a plec? My plec eats all of the algae in my tank so I never have any algae problems, although he is like a little poo machine.... :sick:

I had a common plec in my main tank for a little while, he never touched the stuff, but he ate everything else!

i have 2 bullnose plecs now, same story.

the only way i got rid of (some) of it was to take the affected item(s) out of the tank and go at them with a stiff bristles brush! but thats a lot of hassle, and still didnt get rid of the tough bits :(

I'm trying to get rid of it too Spurry - it's driving me mad :hyper:

Last night I stripped my tank of all the plant leaves that had the algae on.

yep it does drive you mad :crazy:
I cleaned all my plants and there holding up at the moment, its just this small bit of bog wood lol...

If you have the space, get a plec? My plec eats all of the algae in my tank so I never have any algae problems, although he is like a little poo machine.... :sick:

i dont think any thing eats BBA, plec are good and fine when small then they grow to big and i dont have the room...

I had this on my wood and plants and I added a capful of Flourish excel by Sechem every second day. It was completely gone in a couple of weeks but alas it has come back and it's brought a friend. Green stuff.
At a complete loss now and trying my best to pretend it's not there. :angry:

BBA - James' Planted tank algae guide

It's a CO2 issue - Use the guide to work out what you can do about it. You might not have the same kind of tanks described on the page but whatever is happening in your tanks will be matching the criteria......

yes i had the bba for around 3 years after doing reasearch i found out it is put into the fish food. SA's helped hold it back and finally i was at the petstore one day and noticed a big fat molly chompin away on some bba. so i bought it along with 4 others now after 8 months and a thorough cleaning no more bba

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back