Is this algae?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My water looked cloudy... but on inspection, it is actually a white film on the glass. Simply wiping a sponge over it gets rid of it, but a few days later it comes back.

-done all the water tests, and most of the param's are ok... just the no3 is a little high, but i've been fighting it all summer, and it is on its way down. I currently have an ich outbreak (after adding plants) and am treating with a chemical that needs the carbon out of the filter. I did have this film before I took the carbon out though.

Any ideas?

I actually did an experiment with carbon,
I have two 15g tanks with the same equipment and filled one filter with carbon and one without and you can actually tell which has the carbon in becasue its more clearer.
People do say carbon is uneccessary but i disagree

I think carbon is needed. Sometimes. For the most part, I don't use it and have fairly clear water. It isn't going to help with this problem though. There seems to be something on the glass, it is not a water clarity issue. It could be algea or cynobacteria (a type of algae-bacteria hybrid, more or less). It could also be a result of a water quality issue. Though I am betting on algae. Cynobacteria usually appears as brown or blue-green and it covers everything. You could try to limit or eliminate light for a few days, which may help if its an algae problem. Good luck!

\Dan

I would purchase a mag-float.
its an algae magnet so when u turn the lights on or off you can quickly use that, and get rid of any algae on the glass is mag-float doesnt.
Increast the water filtration and perhaps get some algae eating fish

Many aquariasts, even those with live plants, eliminate light alltogether for a few days to "starve" the algae. That's what I'd do. Even to the point of a complete blackout. Like wrapping the tank in towels or something dark to keep even ambient light out. A tank with healthy plants will be fine with a couple, few days without light. If your plants are not healthy and hardy, that's may be another issue...

\Dan

Most reactions

Back