Is Planted Fish Aquariums expensive than Monsterfish Aquariums.

Mazain

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had monsterfish in the past and currently having a planted fishtank. I audited my running cost and losses I incurred with the current Aquarium setup and found out that, I lose 45% when buying fish and plants and 35% overall in a calender year. This percentage positioning is definitely contrast to commercial breeders in the hobby.

I run a lowtech tank, use of liquid ferts, supplements and conditioning add more to the overall 35% cost and loses.

The monster fish tanks in the other hand is total profit since the loses are minimum and you can sell them at maturity in a calender year when they out-grow the tank.

Attachments

• 20240218_124822.jpg
    20240218_124822.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 17
Where I live, if I were to grow out large fish, I would be stuck with large fish. Monster fish are a small niche in the hobby, and don't sell well.

I've never considered my tank as a business, where I calculate profit and loss. My goal is enjoyment and to have small fish live long lives. My fishroom does bring in more money than I spend, but that isn't a goal. There have been many years it didn't.

An aquarium hobby can be expensive. or cheap. It depends on bow you approach it. How and why.

When I got into monsterfish in the 2000's there were a handful of Aquariums that imported monsterfish and they were damn Expensive.
I was only able to afford monsterfish since I had a job at that time. It was only a fascination before the job to me.
During that period Aquasacpe and Planted Tanks were only a niche and every nick and corner were livebearers and a few tetra species imported.
However, now its transformed with the help of social media and unsprisingly everything is still damn Expensive where I live.
So without means it's quite an expensive hobby irrespective of the fascination one can hope for.
The only positive for me was the Internet and researching and reading about fish on my desktop.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back