Is Phil sick?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Apache

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,
While we have been having problems with high nitirites (tank is still cycling), the levels are now going down, and I think we're on our way to being through with cycling (yeah!).
But I have noticed lately that my trilineatus cory, Phil, doesn't seem right. She (we think) seems abit more lethargic than normal, and I have noticed a slight pink tinge under her skin where her gills are :/ . Her gills are not sticking out or anything like that, and she seems to be eating OK... The other two cories seem fine (1 aeneus and 1 haroldschultzi). Am I being a paranoid mom? (she's one of my very favorites :wub: ) or should I be concerned? Thanks.

Hi Apache :)

I think you should be concerned about your corys if you have a tank with high nitrites. This condition is very hard on the fish and could also cause their barbels to erode.

Please do adequate water changes to reduce the level of nitrites to a bare minimum. This will slow (but not stop) the process of cycling.

No fish needs to be in a cycled tank. What they do need is an environment free of ammonia and nitrites. This condition can be achieved either by cultivated bacteria, (cycling) or manually, through frequent water changes. The only real advantage in hurrying a cycle is the work you will be spared.

Personally, I prefer a slower cycling process which is easier on the fish, especially bottom feeders like corys.

Unfortunately I didn't know about this site, nor much about cycling when I got most of my fish. I have been doing frequent water changes, and the nititrite levels are dropping, so thankfully we are about through with cycling... All fish seem to be doing OK.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back