Is My Tank Cycled/ready Yet?

Sounds good. The pH at 7.5 is just fine. No need to worry about that.

I always thought the pH should be around 7.0 for a community tank? Technically, both my tanks inhabitants can withstand 7.5 but it's towards the top of their range.

Pearl Gourami 6.5-8.5 average 7.5
Opaline Gourami 6.0-8.8 average 7.4
Lemon Tetra 5.5–8.0 average 6.75
Von Rio Flame Tetra 5.8-7.8 average 6.8
Cherry Barb 6.0-8.0 average 7.0
Otocinclus 6.0-8.0 average 7.0
Corydoras 6.0-8.0 average 7.0

Molly 7.0-8.0 average 7.5
Guppy 6.8-7.6 average 7.2
Neon Tetra 6.0-7.8 average 6.9
Glowlight Tetra 6.0-7.5 average 6.75
Otocinclus 6.0-8.0 average 7.0
Kuhli Loach 5.5-6.5 average 6.0
Ghost Shrimp 6.5-8.0 average 7.25

I guess the only one that's really not right is the Kuhli Loaches...................

7.5 is basically neutral. It is ever so slightly to the basic side, but not much. If the fish are properly acclimated to the water, they should be fine, as long as it is in their range, Most of the fish in the trade can work in almost all tap water. There are some that are more sensitive than others, but they are much rarer. Overall you should be fine. Personally, I'd steer clear of the neons and the khuli loaches. The rest should be very fine.

Well all the fish seem to be acting normally & the levels are all good. I did a 50-60% water change last night.

I did notice about 2 weeks ago the Opaline Gourami had a really small bump on her left side near the dorsal fin. It's slowly grown larger & now protrudes from a like a small grain of rice laying sideways pointing up toward her dorsal. It's whitish in color and sometimes seems to shine a bit, like it's metallic. Again, she's acting normal, eating normal & she isn't flashing. Her poo is stringy with a little white, clear & standard reddish brown.

I treated the tank with this new stuff I bought called Seachem Metronidazole. It supposedly cures bacterial infections as well as parasites. There's no mention of how it works for Tetras, Corries & Otos though.

The really sad part is that I finally have the cycle in check & the fish are all getting along great. My wife even commented on how great the tank looked and how the fish all seemed happy. She's my oldest fish right now & she rules the tank, I'd really hate to lose her too.

UPDATE:

The Opaline Gourami female has now lost the white rice shaped bump and she looks GREAT!!! There's just a hint of light brownish shape rather than the large white bump she had before.

I did another dose of the Seachem Metro stuff early this morning as a precautionary sort of thing. Like I said in my previous post, no other fish show any signs of white bumps and they all eat like pigs. I just may have successfully diagnosed, treated & saved my prized Opaline Queen. I'm stoked!!!

Wel;l the new timer turned on their daylight in the 36 gallon & the Opaline looks amazing! Not a sign of the white bump on her, even with magnification.

I did see a white thing on the black gravel though, it stood out like a sore thumb. I scooped it up with the surrounding gravel & threw it out, just in case it's from the original bump.

I'm so glad the treatment worked.

Awesome... now maybe things will calm down for you as a nice Christmas present! :D

Awesome... now maybe things will calm down for you as a nice Christmas present! :D

Merry Christmas Eagles! I can't thank you enough for your help in getting my tanks in order. I did lose some fish but in the end I saved more than I killed, and the tank looks amazing with all inhabitants getting along. Post up some pics of your tank if you can.

Most reactions

Back