Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is My Molly Gravid?

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Skye_Phan, Jul 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Skye_Phan

Skye_Phan New Member

Screenshot_20170714-092006.png Screenshot_20170714-092038.png
    I've had my molly for about a month and she has started to swell up like this. Is she gravid? I have a 50 gallon tank with 3 medium size bala sharks, a 5" common pleco, a 2" albino bristlenose pleco, 5 longfin zera danios, 4 neon tetras (I had nine, but they have neon tetra disease. I am hoping to replace these with more danios), 6 albino cory catfish, 3 dwarf gouramis, 2 male and 2 female millennium rainbowfish, 2 adult and 1 baby candy cane tetras, and finally 2 mollies, one of which is the one pictured above.

2. fluttermoth

fluttermoth The current Mrs Treguard ;)
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

You can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time. You don't need to do anything special; just make sure your water is in tip top condition and that tere are some hiding places for the fry; fine leaved live plants are best.

I know this sin't what you're asking about, but I have to point out that you have some issues with your current stocking;
    Some of your fish (the bala sharks and the common plec) are going to get too big for your tank.
    You have a mixture of soft water (the tetras, gouramis) and hard water (mollies) fish.
    You have temperate species (zebra danios) and true tropicals (most of the others).

3. Skye_Phan

Skye_Phan New Member

Thank you so much. I am planning on getting a 75 gallon tank before the bala sharks and the pleco are full grown. I knew the neon tetras weren't the best choice, but I'm hoping to replace them. My original plan was to get buenos aries tetras, would that be a better choice than more danios? What do you recommend I should do with the diversity of the other fish?