Is My Fishtank Cycled?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Okay i have been following this other cycling method where it tells me to add 3 drops everyday until it hits 0.

Im using ammonia from ebay that is actually for aquariums the little bottles and since day one ive been adding 3 drops.
I am using a API test kit the vial ones. The first couple weeks were going well i was getting nitrites etc, but now just ammonia and 0 nitrites.

So what do i do now, do i start over and use that method, do i have to wait another month or so?

What is the ammonia?  I'm guessing off the charts.  You probably raised the ammonia beyond the ability of bacteria to deal with it and killed them off.  And the nitrite bacteria 'chewed' through their nitrite, which is why that is now gone.

I'd do a water change and bring the ammonia down to no higher than 3ppm (2ppm would also be fine).  Then don't add any more ammonia until it hits 0, or 0.25ppm.  Then top back to 3ppm.  And wait it out until it drops to zero again.  Then give it a tick over amount until nitrite hits zero... about 1ppm every 3 days or so.

Follow the article linked here and you will find much better success.

does it mean i have to restart my cycle all over again :S?

Before the dose and test method became the popular form, fishless cycling was done with an eyedropper and any household ammonia we could find. Usually it was well under 10% if it was not degraded any by evaporation. The idea was small amounts of ammonia added daily was similar to what one would have seen in a fish in cycle.

The problem today is ammonia for cycling has become stronger (mostly by being fresher) and been augmented by more concentrated solutions specifically for cycling. For example, the 35% solution I have seen some members using here would easily create too much ammonia if used daily except in very very tiny amounts. Also, way off the chart nitrites can test as 0.

I think eagle hit it on the head that either too much ammonia, or the resulting too much nitrite whacked your bacteria. This doesn't mean they were all wiped out. His suggestion as to doing a big water change etc. is exactly on the mark. This will quickly let you know how much of the cycle is still intact. Follow his suggestion and report back in this thread what you do and what any test results you get are.

i just did the water change and my did a test, ammonia came out really low its either 0ppm or 0.25ppm its really hard to tell! and the nitrites are 0. 

Do i still continue the process you told me to do or is my tank cycled?

Add 2ppm ammonia to the tank and test in 24 hours... if the ammonia and nitrite come back at zero, then you are cycled. 

Just having ammonia and nitrite at zero doesn't indicate cycled... its only if they are zero after having added ammonia the night before...  The tank needs to be processing ammonia in order to be cycled.  Many LFS will direct folks to just run the tank for a week and then test it for ammonia, etc.  And no surprise, the tank comes back with no ammonia, not because its cycled, but because no ammonia has been added/generated in the tank.

Okay i have added 3 drops of ammonia last night and tested it today. I am really not sure what the results show having struggle what it reads would you guys please help me out? 

I have attached images of my fishtank to show you how big it is.
I also attach one photo with flash on and off.

Attachments

• 7906_10151789140028462_1571200291_n.jpg
    7906_10151789140028462_1571200291_n.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 102
  • 1391482_10151789139898462_818043742_n.jpg
    1391482_10151789139898462_818043742_n.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 88
  • 1394330_10151789139518462_1969904138_n.jpg
    1394330_10151789139518462_1969904138_n.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 101
I'd say that you are showing between 0.50 ppm - 1.0ppm ammonia.  That means you want to let it be for another day and test tomorrow.  Tomorrow test both ammonia and nitrite.  Hopefully the ammonia will be zero then.  You may or may not show nitrite. 

If the ammonia is zero tomorrow, redose as you did yesterday and test again in 24 hours.  It should end up at 0.00 ammonia and 0.00 nitrite in 24 hours from your dose, if its cycled.

Incidentally, how big is that tank? 

Also, what is the pH of your water?

okay i tested it and it seemed like i got the same results...

The ph testing is the last one, its very unusual to be that result i remember it was blueish when i was cycling at the start.

The tank is around 23 cm wide and 30 cm tall

And i havent added anything yet since 2 days ago.

Attachments

• 1383280_10151790883348462_1837778282_n.jpg
    1383280_10151790883348462_1837778282_n.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 110
That's not that surprising.  pH drops during the cycling process as nitrates build up.  You more than likely have had your pH crash.

You will need to do a water change to up the pH (actually the more important thing is the kH) and then redose the ammonia. 

The bacteria need ammonia, oxygen and carbon to reproduce and grow.  The carbon needs to be in 'inorganic' form, like in carbonate.  kH is the measure of the carbonate hardness of the water.  Once the carbonate that's in the tank has been used up, the ability of the water to buffer the pH drops and the pH crashes.  Low pH slows/stops the bacteria's ability to process ammonia/nitrite.

so i do another water change? and this time how much water change?

When i water change do i test my ph and it suppose to be higher? and im good to go?

Yes, (50-100%), yes and yes.  If you get stuck you can add some baking soda or calcium carbonate to help buffer the water and to increase the carbonate...

Most reactions

trending

Back