Is My Blue Mystery Snail Ok?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shandy

Reaction score
Hello all -

I bought a blue mystery snail back in February, and he's grown since then but now he just seems very lethargic, and I'm wondering if he's sick. I understand that they go through a hibernation period, but it doesn't seem like that's what he wants to do. His air tube looks like it's slit somehow, and he rarely comes all the way out of his shell anymore. If he's on the wall, he goes up a little, and then seems like he's falling and gradually goes down in a diagonal direction. Also, his body has become more pale than it used to be. I'm on my lunch break at the moment so I can't really check the water but are there any specifications to water levels that the snail itself may need? He's in a 10 gallon tank with 5 cichlids.

Help :(

-Shandy

what is the tank temperature? if its a cooler temp they become lethargic. if you have an algae wafer or something, brake off a little piece, and drop it in the tank, he maybe hungry.
describe what else you can for me after the food.

The temperature ranges from about 75-78F. I let the tank get a little dirtier because I was worried about him not having enough food...cichlids tend to be fairly clean. I did a water test Tuesday and my water is slightly acidic so that may be it. He seems to be doing a little better. I also put some cuddlebone (calcium sticks for birds) in there, a very small amount. I read that you could do that to give him a direct source of calcium, and it's good for the fish also.

I don't feed him anything else in particular except the wafers. I usually just put a very little bit extra fish flakes in there so they fall to the ground and then he just cleans it up.

He seemed a lot more livelier today after I did a water change, so I guess time will tell.

some times they are a little shy when they are first put in the tank.
just ever couple of days just brake off a bit of the wafer and drop it in as a supplement.
the cuttle bone is perfect for calcium for the snails, also tums are a wonderful treat too but again one snail won't eat it all so you have to portion it out for the snail or snails you have in there.

also don't worry if the start floating, mine do this all the time, they just do it to freak there owners out :p

Yea, I read that they tend to be a little shy at first, but I've had him for about 2 months now and he used to be more lively.

And thanks for the heads up, haha. I haven't had him start floating yet, but he has tried to stick himself to the surface of the water :p

Thanks again for your help :)

it could be that he doesnt like your water. do a couple of water changes and see if next time he comes out, he stays out. i too have a snail...well a couple that never come out anymore. ones been in the same place so long (2 months) i dont understand how hes still alive. theyre not dead though, still holding tight in their shells. i dont know whats wrong

it could be that he doesn't like your water. do a couple of water changes and see if next time he comes out, he stays out. i too have a snail...well a couple that never come out anymore. ones been in the same place so long (2 months) i don't understand how hes still alive. they're not dead though, still holding tight in their shells. i dont know whats wrong
take them out and give them a good whiff if it stinks it is dead.

it could be that he doesnt like your water. do a couple of water changes and see if next time he comes out, he stays out. i too have a snail...well a couple that never come out anymore. ones been in the same place so long (2 months) i dont understand how hes still alive. theyre not dead though, still holding tight in their shells. i dont know whats wrong

They could be hibernating.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back