Is my Betta happy?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

gchamp

Reaction score
I've had my Betta fish, Roger, for about 2 years. He's in a 10 gallon tank with live bamboo and plenty of hiding places, but he really only hangs out in the big bamboo leaves in the upper right corner. I know Bettas are solitary fish, but they can have tank mates. He lives with two little african dwarf frogs and 5 little neon tetras. The filter we're running produces a bit of a current, which I think is bad for him (he really only hangs out on one side of the tank) and I'm trying to change out. Am I giving him a good life? He's bright blue, but his tails are showing a little bit of fringing which I'm worried about....

Your betta is very old. They only live for about 6 months in captivity ( they are about 6 months old when you get them)

Tell that to the one I gave my mother, who had it for 7 years, and the ones I've kept for 3 to 5 years. The 6 month die off happens if you get a Betta with fish tuberculosis, which shortens their lives considerably. Otherwise, if they are kept in a tank with water changes, plants, a good diet and not too much warmth (the lower 20s C) they can surprise you.
When I kept Betta splendens (quite a few of them over a long period), if they didn't make the age of 3 I felt I had screwed up somehow.
Your set up sounds good. Honestly, bettas have no friends, and he probably hates his tankmates. I have seen them attack the webbing on aquatic frog feet, thinking it might be tasty. I've also seen neons nip at betta fins. I can add I've seen and had neons and cardinals get along well with Bettas in their tank. Sometimes, it's down to individuals. At most, 10% of my set ups had easily remedied behaviour problems.
There's kind of an orthodoxy on this site where some members get upset at bettas in communities, but it usually works if the tank is large enough and if the individual fish are well chosen. You need a backup tank if you are going to try though.

I'm one of those who opposes having Bettas in a community, especially with tetras...that's probably why his fins are frayed, they're getting nipped by the neons.

Sounds like he must have a pretty happy life to me in that 10 gallon. Most fish suffer much worse like like the bettas living in bowls with no heter or filter, sadly I had 2 betas that had to suffer in bowls which I am very ashamed of, but I was just clueless. There names were Oscar and Oscar the 2nd I am pretty sure. They were both a bright dark blue. Wish I could go back in time and take care of them properly.

I've added a poor quality picture of Roger if anyone's interested. I do keep an eye on him and his tankmates, and they seem to get on just fine. I make sure there's plenty of food to minimizer competition, pellets and flakes. I'd move the tetras to the downstairs tank if I saw any problems.

Attachments

• IMG_5613.jpg
    IMG_5613.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 24

Most reactions

Back